Edam is made backwards

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Whilst eating a spot of lunch yesterday it suddenly occurred to me that I could utilise the wax left over from a mini baby bel. Five minutes later with some tin foil from my butties and a small length of cotton string I had a passable candle. I reckon about an hour's burn time from the amount there.

Has anybody tried this before?

Last edited:

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Yep ;) Surprising useful stuff. The red cellophane and a bit of duct-tape also makes a good night filter

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I keep the stuff off the mini truckles at Christmas too. The fire doesn't mind what colour they are :)
Seriously, it's wax, it burns well (if smokily) and it's bought and paid for along with the cheese. Why waste it ?
If you gather enough melt it down in a clean tin and dip string wrapped pinecones in it. When they dry there's a 'wick' to set the thing alight :D

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tidy to carry too :D and the wax waterproofs the pine cone tinder. Good for starting stoves and bbq's. Good 'candles' if you put prop them up (sand or soil is fine) or set them in a mince pie tin thing (more recycling!). Fun to make with children too if they're of the careful with hot stuff variety.

M

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
:sadwavey::sulkoff: Oh how I miss cheese of any description since becoming lactose intolerant .... but I have fond memories of us as kids using Edam wax to fill in the bullseye of the (second hand) dartboard we had and the way the door it hung on looked like a major woodworm infestation ;)
Growing up we only knew three cheeses, Cheddar and Edam, to us Edam was exotic because it had the wax rind, while on Sunday tea time those foil wrapped triangles of soft cheese appeared as a choice between jam or peanut butter.
Sorry I digress somewhat.

Rob.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, me too.

And fiddly to unwrap too.

My Babybels wax gets recycled....as cheese wax. Helps store usable sized blocks so I can buy a huge lump.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They do indeed.
Apparantly the red wax indicates that it's a young Edam for export.

The cheese is pretty bland tbh, but the little babybel ones are handy to carry, and the wax is an added bonus when camping.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Wax is petroleum based, cheese is oily. I've always wondered how much leaching there is into the cheese. Anyone got any info?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Paraffin wax is insoluble in water, and only really soluble in ether or benzene.
There is no contamination between the red wax and the cheese. If there were then the cheese would show the red colouring. Besides the paraffin wax is indigestible and just passes through the gut. It's not toxic to us; well, not as wax around cheese it's not. Breathing it in as it breaks down might not be so healthy.
Food grade paraffin wax is considered very stable, very safe and not a food contaminant.

http://jamjarshop.com/paraffin-wax-400g

and from the safety data sheet….

" Eye Contact: Not expected to be an eye irritant
Skin Contact: No harmful effects from skin adsorption.
Inhalation: Vapors emitted from molten wax are expected to have slight degree of irritation
Ingestion: No harmful effects are expected.
Acute Toxicity Values: Low acute toxicity"

M

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If I ever get the bad idea to buy a sack of Baby Bsl, I buy the blsck one. Contains Cheddar, so a little bit more flavour.

Our son used to love the stuff. And I used to add the wax to those scented large table candles my eife insisted on wasting money on. Looked cool when melted!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We get mini truckles of cheese that are wrapped in assorted colours of wax. Everything from good cheddar to stilton and apricot. Himself likes the Mexican style cheddar one. I think that would be great on toasted cheese or chunked and dropped into a bowl of stew or soup when out, especially in the cold.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE