EBAY KIT. yes or no?

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
gregorach said:
Personally, I'd regard a 100L bag as way too big for almost all purposes, but that's a personal decision. Just be aware that you will end up filling it, however big it is. ;)

This is a common mistake to make. People will end up over packing their bergen, but all you need is a little self discipline. There is no reason why you should carry extra kit just because you've got the space. You've just got to be sensible and disciplined about it.
The thing to do is to make a kit list and keep it for reference.

I understand why people don't like a 100L capacity but I ,personally,like to have the space. Also I think it depends on the climate you'll be in. Some winter sleeping bags don't pack down that small, especially the synthetic ones. In the summer, you'll be able to use a Snugpack sleeping bag, for example (or others)which compresses to nothing, enabling you to use even a decent sized day sack.
I don't like bergens with two compartments divided by a zip, because they may break if they're not top quality. Simplicity is best.
I also would never buy a beregn without having a hands on first.
I favour the Berghuas range and like the old Crusader which is sadly no longer available.
I agree that with a bit of shopping around, you'll be able to find a cheapish one from somewhere. Check the quality of the clips and fasteners, stitching etc.
Cheers, Julian.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE