eating squirrel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
LOL....

Are those slow cookers worth buying then? Wilderness ways were selling loads of them a while back, and I remember watching a program where a guy had a pressure cooker/slow cooker camping pan thing....

Definitely. Meat just falls apart after cooking in them, even the tough stuff.

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
I found the hardest thing was to remove the label, what label you ask? The one that says "Caution may contain nuts"

Si

Slow cooked wrapped in good bacon .

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
LOL....

Are those slow cookers worth buying then? Wilderness ways were selling loads of them a while back, and I remember watching a program where a guy had a pressure cooker/slow cooker camping pan thing....

I love slow cookers. Especially being a sad loner. When I come home to the empty house it's like someone has cooked for me as the kitchen smells of food. Especially good after a driech day out in the winter when you come in cold and wet.
I've had mine about 30 years and it's still going strong. Has cooked many meals and brought many smiles to my face at the end of a long day.
As said meat comes out meltingly soft and the doughballs extra fluffy. That said some soups like Scots broth don't really work in it.
Well worth the money.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
I love slow cookers. Especially being a sad loner. When I come home to the empty house it's like someone has cooked for me as the kitchen smells of food. Especially good after a driech day out in the winter when you come in cold and wet.
I've had mine about 30 years and it's still going strong. Has cooked many meals and brought many smiles to my face at the end of a long day.
As said meat comes out meltingly soft and the doughballs extra fluffy. That said some soups like Scots broth don't really work in it.
Well worth the money.

Have you tried leaving the top open just a little, the steam gets out and the soup thickens but the heat is still there.

Si

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Have you tried leaving the top open just a little, the steam gets out and the soup thickens but the heat is still there.

Si

I have it's just that the soup takes on a slightly "burned" taste. Bit like if you leave a pot of coffee on the go all day. As I say though it's really only Scotch broth that doesn't work. Everything else is fine.
Don't know if any of you have tried oxtail stew in a slow cooker? With some liver and kidney in there and some veg it's one of the most unctious things you'll ever eat.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I had spit roast squirrel last week, though I commend a casserole involving red wine, root veg, juniper berries, and maybe mushrooms too... Hmm

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
This is how I had mine two weeknds ago :)... simples.... with a salad and bread make in a Dutch Oven, over the fire :)

IMG_0102.jpgIMG_0103.jpg

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Not sure about the situation on the UK, but here in the US, squirrels are endemic with Creutzfeldt Jakobs disease. Symptoms very similar to BSE which UK residents will know. SO be careful .

george47

Banned
Aug 14, 2015
North Gulf of Mexico
In the 1970' London we ate loads of squirrel, then in USA we would hunt them late summer to camp in the woods and scout for the autumn deer hunting.

Squirrel pie is the answer. Skin 2 - 3 of them (hard) gut, cut in 5 pieces. simmer in as little water as possible, pack them into pot like pieces of a puzzle, then barely cover with water. Take meat off when it will just pull off the bones - do not cook till it falls off the bones or you will get bone fragments in the pie. De-bone. Boil liquid with some chicken stock powder to make the pie base - generous amount of stock powder - could use gravy powder.

Mix flour with water, couple T of each, more water, till - till it is thickish but pours easily. Get stock boiling, pour in flour mix slowly - wile whisking with a whisk, or siring fast with a spoon - done wrong it will be lumpy so do it right - do this till the stock is thick, like a pie should be. Then stir in 10 oz frozen peas, still frozen, and the meat.

I buy 2 pie shells and pre-cook the bottom one (thaw, ***** with fork all over so it stays flat, cook 400F 10 minutes - 200C)

Put mix in shell, cover with second raw, thawed crust so it overlaps pie, trim overhang. slice in top for steam, bake an hour at 350f, 170C - till done.

I made this a hundred times, my wife and friends loved it. Now I would add some canned, concentrated, cream of chicken soup to the stock for additional flavor - but did not then. Try with rabbit. Or a pigeon and a squirrel, or anything. It is excellent with squirrel - usually only takes 2 squirrels for a big pie, they are surprisingly meaty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE