eating insects

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
has anyone eaten any insects on here,if so wot kind of insects have you eaten.Because i would love to know of some good insect and wild flower recipes

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
no just starve them for a few days, or get some home bred ones fed on lettuce etc. therefore ensuring no toxins

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i've had a fair few unidentifiables hit the back of my throat whilst cycling. its all in the meat group to be fair ;)

not sure what british bugs are edible, i'd prolly say crickets would be one tho, pull the head off and the nasty bits should come with, roast the rest over a fire.
i hear cybercandy.co.uk do chocolate scorpions! really want to try one of them

pheasant plucker

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2007
Birmingham, England
I've eaten locusts and mealworms and you have to eat a lot to get full lol, you also have to be careful how you prep some insects like locusts as they are part of the prawn family and you have to remove the the neck armour, plus they have hairs on their legs that will catch in your throat. But we all eat insects in one way or another anyway unless of course you don't eat processed food ; )

PP

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Anyone see Heston last night? Mealworms and locusts, deep fried then injected with a tomato sauce. I had chocolate covered ants at christmas. Google edible insects, the site had oven baked tarantulas too!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Worm Bovril - squeeze out worms, fry on hot rock by fire until crispy, powder into soup.
Worm soup - squeeze out worms, cut into small bits throw into soup base and boil to death...
In Thailand we had deep fried Cockroaches (theres one for the Scots to try!) - crunchy but not very nice....

xylaria

Tree aphids, one lick of a sweet sticky leaf and I was hooked.

Woodlice by accident, when eating a slice of gaint puff dipped in egg and fried with bacon. I have looked at the woodlice on my allotment but they can concentrate the toxins that are found in treated wood.

Dried wild mushrooms sold in the shops are allowed under EU food regs to be not more than %10 insect protein. It is pretty hard not eat small grubs and crawlies when eating any wild food. I have processed rosehips and found crushed up earwigs in with the seeds. Used the syrup just the same.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I hope you folks don't mind me throwing a little story here from a childhood memory.

As a young boy at school I remember bimbling around in some woods at the back of the tennis courts and coming across two senior boys having a serious discussion regarding a bet over one of them eating a locust. Now there was always a large container of live locusts kept in the science labs. These were interesting to watch when lessons started to go over my head!
These two boys were at least three years older than me and I think that I was about eight or nine. The money bet was £5-00 which in 1968 was a huge sum to me. I think this is one of the reasons that this event sticks in my mind. Plus at that age one is in awe of seniors. Anyway the discussion reached the point where the locust was eaten and the money changed hands. The locust was crunched up in the boys mouth and he really did swallow it! This boy was Robert Swan who went on to be a well known polar explorer and the money handler was a fellow called Barr (sorry but I just can't remember his christian name).
Funny what you remember isn't it!

Swyn.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Tried snails at school during French, wasn't very impressed tbh.

Gnats/Midges/Noseeums are very sweet, sweeter than sugar and I'll eat them if I get one. It pay's them back for biting me.

Xylaria, I haven't tried the sweet leaf yet, but I'm going to! Although saying that, I have tried the sticky leaves on the native lime tree, are the aphids the cause of that?

BIGWOLFY

Dec 18, 2008
west coast of scotland
Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, I think I'll eat some worms! ... Everybody likes me, nobody hates me. Why did I eat those worms?????? i think i will stick to a nice bit of rabbit stuffed with ramsons and nettles and a side dishes of sea beet mmmm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE