Easy to make bushcraft equipment.

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
Hi,
I've been wanting to have a go at crafting for a while and would like to make something usuful that I could use whilst out bushcrafting. Im new to this but im not to bad working with my hands either, I would like to make something with the minimal basic tools posible.

I've always wanted to make a spoon, but can this be achieved without the appropriate spoon knife?

Any suggestions or advice on what or how to make something would be greately appreciated, thankyou.

Feel free to show off your works. :)

of course the spoon can be achieved without a spoon knife.
just place an ember from your fire onto the area you want to hollow out in the spoon shape then chip out the charred wood with a normal knife.
please note i have only read of this technique but in principle it should work
(i'm not big on spoon carving but getting into it)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
you don't need a spoon knife to carve the bowl of a spoon, you can use the tip of your knife to roughly carve out the inside of the bowl and then just finish with sandpaper. you can also use a gouge. i'd carved a few spoons before i ever got a spoon knife and it's not always my first choice now

good luck with the spoon carving, it's pretty addictive.

cheers

stuart

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Don't get precious about picking up a needle & thread,
you can make, modify or repair all sorts of clothing, create stuff sacks from old trousers and add tie-out loops to tarps for instance.

Practice your knife skills so that feather-sticks and trap triggers become second nature.

Lastly, practise a few knots so that they get ingrained into your mind - and from someone elses point of view, look effortless.

ATB

Ogri the trog

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
of course the spoon can be achieved without a spoon knife.
just place an ember from your fire onto the area you want to hollow out in the spoon shape then chip out the charred wood with a normal knife.
please note i have only read of this technique but in principle it should work
(i'm not big on spoon carving but getting into it)

I tried this and it dosnt work. The wood splits from the heat.

If you got plenty of time on your hands you could just sandpapre the spoon :) or get a old kitchen knife and bend it.

other than that, there are plenty stuff you can make. Get old jeans, make some pot sacks out of them, get needle and thread, make chopsticks, tent pegs, walkin stick, cup coasters, chopping board, leather strops, carve handles (for anything, knives, doors, firesteels etc..)

The more you make, the more you research, the more ideas you get.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I tried this and it dosnt work. The wood splits from the heat.

If you got plenty of time on your hands you could just sandpapre the spoon :) or get a old kitchen knife and bend it.

other than that, there are plenty stuff you can make. Get old jeans, make some pot sacks out of them, get needle and thread, make chopsticks, tent pegs, walkin stick, cup coasters, chopping board, leather strops, carve handles (for anything, knives, doors, firesteels etc..)

The more you make, the more you research, the more ideas you get.

I have to disagree here - ember burning a spoonbowl does work!
I have made several in this manner and have seen many more made by others.
Using seasoned wood can help avoid splitting - that is pick good quality dead standing wood not something that is still full of sap.
The best I carved/burned was on a canoe exped down the Orange river on the South African/Namibian border after a member lost their KFS set in the sand....I have no idea what the wood was but the spoon was a beauty - and quickly made!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE