Easter paddle project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Little Miss Chainsaw (LMC) is studying for standard grades at the moment and so (Not So) Little Chainsaw (NSLC) and I were at a loose end most mornings until she'd done her stipulated 2 hours. We decided to make some paddles, so out with the ash and away we went. Took about 5 mornings all in but it was good fun and he got to use some power tools after I'd put the fear of god into him!
biggrin.gif

NSLC sanding the plank

P3280002.jpg

and marking out his beavertail. He didn't want a full size paddle, just, it seems, something to whack his sister with
rolleyes.gif
banghead.gif

P3280003.jpg

ok it's definitely in there let's see about getting it out!!

P3280004.jpg

sawing with style

P3280005.jpg

Not many more pics you'll be pleased to know but after bandsawing it out it was get the centres done and then out with the spokeshave. It took him a wee while to get the hang of it but the ash was great to work with and very accommodating. He did very well and still has ten fingers so
bigok.gif
A bit of power planing to thin the blade then back to the spoke shave for cambering. He did brilliantly at this and it came out really well after some sanding and oiling

DSCF2212.jpg

Cracking wee project although he's now asking if I can get a bigger bit of ash.....

Cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE