Earth oven rebuild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I'm looking to rebuild the pizza oven I have in the back garden next year and though I might as well open up the invitation to a few bushcrafters whom might be interested in learning the basics of earth oven building.

There's no need to remove the base, but we'll probably redo the insulation under the oven and reseat the base, I want to build a small shelter for it, as well as build a new dome and insulate/clad it. I've got a friendly local artist whom may come over and give a hand doing some proper sculpturing.

The earth oven is constructed from clay dug not more than about 5 feet away and the only incredients extra I use is wood shavings from my next door neighbour and my shop vac as well as sand to water down the London clay.

I'll provide a keg of homebrew and there's plenty of room for back garden camping and a set of posts for someone to hang! Equipment wise you'd only need the usual camping gear and your feet! I can also shuttle you to/from the local station and we have room for three cars on the drive.

We can probably accommodate up to about 6, looking at doing this in March.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm looking to rebuild the pizza oven I have in the back garden next year and though I might as well open up the invitation to a few bushcrafters whom might be interested in learning the basics of earth oven building.

There's no need to remove the base, but we'll probably redo the insulation under the oven and reseat the base, I want to build a small shelter for it, as well as build a new dome and insulate/clad it. I've got a friendly local artist whom may come over and give a hand doing some proper sculpturing.

The earth oven is constructed from clay dug not more than about 5 feet away and the only incredients extra I use is wood shavings from my next door neighbour and my shop vac as well as sand to water down the London clay.

I'll provide a keg of homebrew and there's plenty of room for back garden camping and a set of posts for someone to hang! Equipment wise you'd only need the usual camping gear and your feet! I can also shuttle you to/from the local station and we have room for three cars on the drive.

We can probably accommodate up to about 6, looking at doing this in March.

I live too far away to help but please take plenty pictures and post them up with explanations when you get the time.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
can/will do! probably will be providing bacon and maybe cookup a stew or something (we could build a 2nd pizza oven to ruin to make pizza dinner!) as well...!

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
woodpoet - of course you can - are you worried about beer finings? I'm fairly sure I've seen you drinking beer at the pub meets so I assume so... I'm not sure if I'm going to use them or leave the beer to settle out over a month or so...

woodpoet

Mar 16, 2012
Walthamstow
Not that worried. most beers nowadays use chemicals like wines they use sulphates. Isinglas is the one they used to use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE