Earth Oven Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Hello! I'm pondering making an earth oven. The kind of wee beehive type ones. I wonder if I can ask a few questions?

I've heard of people using budget cat litter for clay to make forges. Do you think you could use this to make an earth oven.

Is there anything you can use instead of bricks as a base? Would a concrete paving slab explode?

Thanks!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Concrete can explode if theres air pockets in it, the heat causes the pockets to expand and pop goes the concrete.
i did see a project on an oven and they used bricks and mortar for the base rather then a paving slab. the benefits here is they're pre-fired bricks and the mortar can expand when needed.

not sure on the cat litter mind ;)

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Melonfish said:
not sure on the cat litter mind

Neither am I, it's £2.15 for a bag of "Thomas" and I'd need enough for Thomas, the Aristocats and Top Kat's gang. Suppose I could use used stuff, free mini Twix with every loaf, he,he,he!

I'll give the concrete a miss too.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
The last one I helped to make was with flat stones to line it and plenty of clay around ( reinforced with grasses )to form a dome shape

Just heat is very slowly to temper the stone

Worked a treat

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've seen a paving slab explode on a bank oven. Bad news.
Scanners.gif

I've used bricks very successfully.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE