E-Petition to lower car insurance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The price may indeed be high....but some insurers make no profit at all (e.g. the co-op).

So the money isn't going in profits or to shareholders.

Its going in staff costs or payouts.

The only way to make it cheaper is to cut staff wages, or find a way to reduce the amount paid out.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Further to your update, I think that would be a great idea. Shame we've got the Tories in...they certainly won't allow anything like that. It shouldn't be legal for people to be scammed like that.

Who voted for them anyway? I'm surprised we haven't been catapulted back into the middle ages yet...

And your alternative would be....!?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
cbr6fs to answer your question, i said im not against insurannce, in principle its a good thing, the main concerns i have are(a) someone goes into you,or as has happened to my misses,a deer runs straight out from a field right into the side of the car, smashes in a panel that needs replacing, she then has to pay excess why? surely your paying for a service in the first place why do you have to pay excess?(they cant lose) (b)then next time you go to insure up it goes co's you have made a claim? why? again youve paid and been paying for a service surely on the rare occasion you have to use it, thats why you were paying for it in the first place?,,,that's the problems i have with these rip off insurrance companies.Oh and it doesnt just go up a bit next time they want more than double,pure bl**dy greed!

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The one good thing about getting older is getting to read the threads where younger people whine like a jet turbine about insurance costs. It warms the heart of my cockles.:lmao:

About £300 quid for the van (commercial policy with recreational driving included) and £140 for my GSXR 750.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
The one good thing about getting older is getting to read the threads where younger people whine like a jet turbine about insurance costs. It warms the heart of my cockles.:lmao:

About £300 quid for the van (commercial policy with recreational driving included) and £140 for my GSXR 750.

Think of it as compensation for the fact that everything's wearing out and shrinking ;)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Which is strange as in the USA you can Sign away liability

but in UK its not legally enforcable even if you want to

i.e. the signs about saying you leave your car at your own risk . They have supplied a parking space and the sign basically says they take no liability for it assumption is that by parking there you agree to them not being liable
this isn't legally true Even if they made you sign a waiver stating they have no liability you can still take them to court if your car gets damaged as they provided the facility etc

We have totally different Legal forms for Dive students to sign because if that
PADI being a USA based company in America you basically sign to say you and your family cannot sue if your instructor causes you harm by accident or incompetence

For PADI UK you sign an assumption of Risk stating you understand there is a risk But the Dive instructor needs Public liability Insurance (recommended with records for 7yrs after you stop teaching just in case) in case they cause you harm by accident or incompetence and you do Sue etc.

ATB

Duncan

You cain't really sign it away over here either. Those forms have varying degrees of enforceability depending on what state you're in but it's not totally enforceable anywhere.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Pah....my neighbour has 10 cars - including a Rolls Royce and a 7.0 litre coupe. He also has two road going tractors and a Unimog.

One policy to cover all 13 vehicles is sub £400 !

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Pah....my neighbour has 10 cars - including a Rolls Royce and a 7.0 litre coupe. He also has two road going tractors and a Unimog.

One policy to cover all 13 vehicles is sub £400 !

I suppose they figure he's only got one head and one backside so can't be driving them all at the same time.

My mother used to work for the NFU and it was quite common for farmers who gave them quite a bit of trade to get substantial discounts for their young sons insurance because of the rest of the trade they got.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Is it cheaper in a country you have the skills that would allow you to move too?

Well, actually no, it's the same situation, but the wages are lower. So with the cash I've made here, 2/3 cheaper. With the cash I'd make over there, relatively the same situation really. Laws can just be bent and deals can be made...cue the Godfather theme tune!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
cbr6fs to answer your question, i said im not against insurannce, in principle its a good thing, the main concerns i have are(a) someone goes into you,or as has happened to my misses,a deer runs straight out from a field right into the side of the car, smashes in a panel that needs replacing, she then has to pay excess why? surely your paying for a service in the first place why do you have to pay excess?(they cant lose) (b)then next time you go to insure up it goes co's you have made a claim? why? again youve paid and been paying for a service surely on the rare occasion you have to use it, thats why you were paying for it in the first place?,,,that's the problems i have with these rip off insurrance companies.Oh and it doesnt just go up a bit next time they want more than double,pure bl**dy greed!

When you take out your insurance policy it's up to you to decide which policy you take and exactly how much excess your happy paying.

This is made VERY clear both when you take the policy out and when you receive your insurance document.

So it's very silly to complain about a cost that you happily signed and agreed to.

If you don't want excess then take out a policy without excess.
You'll no doubt pay more for that policy but that's the choice you make yourself.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I suppose they figure he's only got one head and one backside so can't be driving them all at the same time.

My mother used to work for the NFU and it was quite common for farmers who gave them quite a bit of trade to get substantial discounts for their young sons insurance because of the rest of the trade they got.

Exactly that. He does look after his vehicles and had 40 years NCD which helps.

However his combined tax, MOT and insurance on a monster engined Unimog is £18 a year....which is pretty impressive!

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
It is quite amusing reading some of the responses.

I see Red has picked up on the Co-op stuff.

If I took out an insurance policy last year and the same policy a year later the cost will rise whatever I do or don't do, it is called inflation in a lot of cases.

The person working in the office gets a pay rise, so a bit gets added to the policy cost, price of gas goes up, it costs more to run the insurers office, the cost of the policy goes up, same with other utilities, the costs of just being there go up so they pass the cost on. The repairs cost more because the garages and suppliers costs go up because of inflation.

I take out my insurance for the car every year, I expect it to go up, but I can look at it and tweak it a bit to keep the cost down, I can limit my milage, I can increase the amount of excess I am willing to pay on my cover, you can claim this back from the other party if it is their fault.

My insurance cover includes things like recovery if undrivable, courtesy car for when in the garage being repaired.

I also have insurance on my policy, AKA "Protected no claims" so I can have four "Fault" claims in five years without it affecting the policy cost because of the accidents.

It also covers the costs of the emergency services being called out, because they have the right to reclaim some of their costs as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE