Dyneema Spectra Extreme 25m lengths - Amsteel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
what sought of length is needed to make one whoopie sling then?

The phrase "How long is a piece of string (amsteel)" comes to mind, I believe it is entirely down to preference but would estimate you'd add about a metre in total to give enough for burying, so a 10m sling would use around 11m, having never made them before this is purely guess work.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
The phrase "How long is a piece of string (amsteel)" comes to mind, I believe it is entirely down to preference but would estimate you'd add about a metre in total to give enough for burying, so a 10m sling would use around 11m, having never made them before this is purely guess work.

Most whoopie slings are 6 feet mate I think. 10 metres would be 33 feet? That would mean you need trees about 23-25 mtres apart wouldnt it?

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
what sought of length is needed to make one whoopie sling then?

There are loads of videos on youtube pal on how to make your own whoppies.

Off the top of my head matt from ukhammocks has made one and he uses everyday items from around the house to do it.

if I can find it I will link it.

Here is a vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dgCy2qyIGY

When you do it I would most certainly advise you splice some of these on the whoopies - http://ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/articl...Uit1JJWqB5XcvlvSt5G&shop_param=cid=13&aid=68&

It allows you to just clip your whoopie slings to your tree huggers, and also stops your whoopie from pulling through on itself.

Not connected to uk hammocks in anyway, and tbh not much of a particularly satisfied customer but he has got some great stuff for hanging.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51

My goodness, a 10m sling would be a whopper! you need about 4m to make one sling. That should give you an adjustment of 2' to over 6'. Obviously you have that adjustment on both ends because you usually have two whoopie slings. I suppose you could go bigger if trees were really really far apart. You can also reach further if you have tree huggers that use a Marlin Spike Hitch for attaching the end of the whoopie sling to. I'm in the process of developing something that would do away with the MSH and toggle. Oh and you can use Dyneema for adjustable ridge lines and pocket hammock chair suspensions etc.

Hope that helps.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Most whoopie slings are 6 feet mate I think. 10 metres would be 33 feet? That would mean you need trees about 23-25 mtres apart wouldnt it?

Thanks for the info. If you had really long whoopies then you would still have 2' adjustment at the bottom end but you'd also be able to hang from an oak in one county to an elm in another county!! :lmao:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I have still not had confirmation that the supplier has shipped the Dyneema. It is cutting it a bit fine for hand delivering to the Moot. I will message them again.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I have still not had confirmation that the supplier has shipped the Dyneema. It is cutting it a bit fine for hand delivering to the Moot. I will message them again.

I have talked to the supplier and they are about to ship. I'm not convinced that it will be here in time for hand deliveries to the Moot but we shall see. Why do I suspect I will have to wait late for the post on Tuesday for a last minute delivery before leaving for Wales?! I also suspect I won't have time to process postals until I get back from the Moot. It was always touch and go!

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
im picking it up at the moot hope so we can do the whoopy sling tutorial regards dave

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
The Dyneema is hopefully being shipped to Countryman who will bring it to the Moot Friday. If not then the supplier will be able to hit the high notes! I won't to be able to post until after the Moot. Sorry about that, it was touch and go anyway, the supplier is a bit slow!

Phil

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Update:

Seems that the Dyneema has already been shipped and is coming directly to my address! Fingers crossed it appears on Monday. I won't be able to ship before the Moot but at least it will hopefully be here for use in the Moot Whoopie Sling class.

Phil

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Update:

Seems that the Dyneema has already been shipped and is coming directly to my address! Fingers crossed it appears on Monday. I won't be able to ship before the Moot but at least it will hopefully be here for use in the Moot Whoopie Sling class.

Phil

If this Dyneema doesn't get delivered tomorrow I am going to have a major sense of humour failure and that won't be pretty! :cussing:

It will be a case of taking delivery, hopefully, and bugging out straight to the Moot.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
If this Dyneema doesn't get delivered tomorrow I am going to have a major sense of humour failure and that won't be pretty! :cussing:

It will be a case of taking delivery, hopefully, and bugging out straight to the Moot.

OK, sense of humour failure avoided! It is now safely with me. I will deal with postals after the Moot.

Thanks guys, it hasn't been too stressful though I am now going to the Moot a day late!

Ta, Phil

Rigel

Aug 6, 2010
maidenhead
OK, sense of humour failure avoided! It is now safely with me. I will deal with postals after the Moot.

Thanks guys, it hasn't been too stressful though I am now going to the Moot a day late!

Ta, Phil

Hey Phil,

Thanks for taking this on! I am easy on the delivery so late next week is cool with me.

Cheers!
Greg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE