Dyeing wool blanket

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi guys and gals

I have recently made a wool blanket hooded tunic (over the head sleeveless jumper with a hood) its whiteish with a blue pattern on it. I would like to dye it brown, and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I have also come into possession of a PINK 100% wool blanket (labelled) and want to dye this one black, same question applies really.

Any help with specific products would be greatly appreciated and any help RE the actual process would be fab.

Thanks in advance guys and gals

Dave

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Tea bags would be your best bet for brown though you might still be able to see the pattern if it comes out light.

Mary suggested to me that for a mordant use a couple iron tablets crushed up in the dye

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Tea bags would be your best bet for brown though you might still be able to see the pattern if it comes out light.

Mary suggested to me that for a mordant use a couple iron tables crushed up in the dye

They don't have to be full dining ones either - a small side or occasional table will be fine.:lmao:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Teabags will probably end up being a shade of tan.
If it needs to be dark brown, use walnutshells. That is so powerfull, no mordant is needed.
Make sure the blankets are clean. Stains will not be covered by the dye.
Boil the blankets for an hour to open up the fibres. In the meantime boil the shells too.
Remove the shelss, add the blanket to the coloured mix and boil again for an hour.
Rinse thoroughly and dry.

here's the site I used with my experiments; http://pioneerthinking.com/crafts/natural-dyes

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Tea bags would be your best bet for brown though you might still be able to see the pattern if it comes out light......

Back when I was a painter (aircraft painter) obviously one of the hardest things was to paint something with a pattern to a lighter color without having the darker bits of the pattern bleeding through. Fortunately I was taught by some very good painters with more experience than me. They taught me that the best thing to do is to paint the item a dark color first (such as black) and then put the subsequent coats on in the final lighter color. It worked a charm. The same principle should apply to dying one would think.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I might take the Teabag idea for the creme coloured blanket coat BUT will this work with a dirty pink blanket (thats the colour not the cleanliness lol)?

I was thinking of dyeing it Black tbh.

with the creme one i actually want the blue to show through (hopefully as a darker shade of brown as the design has been incorporated in the coat on this basis.

Thanks in advance

Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I might take the Teabag idea for the creme coloured blanket coat BUT will this work with a dirty pink blanket (thats the colour not the cleanliness lol)?

I was thinking of dyeing it Black tbh.

with the creme one i actually want the blue to show through (hopefully as a darker shade of brown as the design has been incorporated in the coat on this basis.

Thanks in advance

Dave

I have used the tea bag method on a pink blanket and it gave a good rich brown - 200 teabags boiled up and added to water in a canoe-barrel dye-bath and left for a week.
I would show photos but the blanket has been sold on....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE