dyeing ventile

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mohawk

Jul 2, 2013
Rowlands Castle
Hi,
I have a recently bought a Royal Navy Ventile Smock but I'd like to dye it. Probably black as thats likely to be the only colour that would take.
Could anyone recommend a dye to use that wont damage it or cause running issues when wet. Best way to apply it
Also should I give it a light waxing after and any advice generally on how to keep it in top nick.

Thanks

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
You might struggle a bit, my understanding is that Ventile dosn't dye well. Certainly it gets the lived in / faded look pretty quick suggesting the dye dosn't totally work.

I've used Dylon on normal cotton which is easy to use, you just wash it in with salt (when the missus is out!) but the results aren't amazing. You don't need to wax it, it keeps you dry by the fibres swelling. My advice would be to leave it as it is and wash when required following the manufactures instructions.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
My experience would be similar to Limaed's above...

I tried to dye stone coloured ventile to a more earthy colour but it just turned out to be a dirty stone colour rather than taking the olive dye that I hoped.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'll put pictures of my dyed ventile up tonight. Just used dylon . Worked for me.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE