Dyeing Canvas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
I've been searching for suppliers of 15oz canvas to make a canoe pack with but most seem to be 'natural' in colour i.e cream colour. As that's not the most practical colour I want to make a pack which is a brown or green colour.

Does anyone have any experience of dyeing canvas? I presume it's ok to do as it's cotton.

Any help much appreciated - especially if you can tell me a supplier who does it already coloured!

Thanks. :)

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I think It will dye, i recall Topknot Dyeing a cotton canvas dustsheet with 500 teabagsto make a tarp, gave it a nice tan colour.

I'd imagine using a commercail dye like those by Dylon would work too , though depending on the tightnes of the weave the results may be uneven.

But never having dyed canvas im cant say for definite.

Though My Swedush snow smoke is very tightly woven cotton (almost like canvas) and has taken the dye quite well.

Andy

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I've just ordered a bunch of samples from Point North of their various canvases for a gun slip I'm planning. I could let you know which were weightiest when they come. Many are pre-dyed in browns, greys and tan. (They also do OG, I just don't)

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I've used tea bags to dye a couple small canvas pouches before. Chucked a handful into a mess tin of water and simmered it for a while. It produced a tan color somewhat like 'khaki' web gear as here: http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_ww2webgear.php

I make oilcloth with cotton canvas which makes for a good backpack. My 'recipe' is raw linseed oil, enough turps to smell it and enough pigment to feel it when stirring. The turps helps to thin the mixture so it soaks in rather than sits on the surface. The pigment I use is Liberon 'earth pigment' but oil paint can be diluted with lots of oil and turps instead. It takes a while to go off and just like painting multiple thin coats are better than fewer thick ones. I prefer to shrink the canvas with a couple of cycles through the washing machine on its hottest setting without any powder.

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
Hi I've just bought 10m of olive 15oz canvas, 36" wide from this guy
C H Cross & Son Email: chcross@btinternet.com Phone 0161 835 1115
He is based in Manchester and i payed £40 including postage.
I dont know if your a member of SOTP but there's a guy called 86inch who makes excellent packs, he buy's his canvas from here. If you want to see before you buy,which is always a good idea, give him a ring and he will send you a sample.

Glen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE