Dyeing a rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have a google search for 'idye poly'.
The instructions and the recommended fabrics are online.

You will be able to dye the rucksac, but you'd do a better job if you make sure there's no dirt or proofing on it before you start.
You also need to be aware that the threads, the straps and any bindings won't be made of the same material as the body of the rucksac, so though they'll all dye, it might not all be to the same colour. It'll be somewhere within the range of shades or tones of the colour though.
The other thing is to mind that you'll effectively be overdyeing, which means that the colour you start from will maybe also affect the colour you finally achieve too.

Very possible though :) and often very successful.

Let us know how you get on with it ?

cheers,
Toddy

Unistat76

Dec 1, 2014
United States
I dyed the US Army Universal Camouflage Pattern ruck I bought off of eBay. The UCP is awful and only manages to camouflage someone if their sitting on grandma's couch. I had some black Rit dye (liquid) so I thought I'd give it a try. I really should have used two bottles for the amount of fabric. I left it in the dye bath for an hour and the end result was navy blue. I don't mind because anything is better than the God-forsaken UCP.

The take away lesson from this is that the color you end up with may not be exactly what you envision, but if the orange bothers you enough, any other color will do.

Here is a pic of what it looked like before (not my pic, from the eBay listing.)

$_35.JPG

Here it is after the dye job.

IMAG3319.jpg

Last edited:

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Have a google search for 'idye poly'.
The instructions and the recommended fabrics are online.

You will be able to dye the rucksac, but you'd do a better job if you make sure there's no dirt or proofing on it before you start.
You also need to be aware that the threads, the straps and any bindings won't be made of the same material as the body of the rucksac, so though they'll all dye, it might not all be to the same colour. It'll be somewhere within the range of shades or tones of the colour though.
The other thing is to mind that you'll effectively be overdyeing, which means that the colour you start from will maybe also affect the colour you finally achieve too.

Very possible though :) and often very successful.

Let us know how you get on with it ?

cheers,
Toddy

This the stuff toddy
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/cr/B005X6GQ72/ref=mw_dp_cr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This the stuff toddy
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/cr/B005X6GQ72/ref=mw_dp_cr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's it :) if you have a search for the online instructions for use, it'll help do a sound job of it.

Orange.....you 'might' get black, but I think you'll get brownish black, iimmc. Brown should be fine if that's what you're aiming for, if it's green.....:dunno:
See what they recommend; there's a lot of folks who've used it successfully and are happy to say what they started with, how much dye they used, and what colour they ended up with.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE