Dyeing DPM and Snow smock Black Advice for you.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

England Ram

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2011
Derby
I have now dyed 3 things black, 2 dpm and one plain. All came out differently.

The Dye used was the Dylon in washing machine dye box, with the seperate packet of salt.
The ready mix dye and salt is for reviving colours so will not dye as well.

The swedish snow smock (full button up front) I dyed was:- full cotton, one colour beige, buttons pre removed(as they were white) Cords removed(to save dye). Used one box of the in washing machine dye with a bag of salt that dylon do to add. Result is a dark full coulour black, looks like a shop bought black, the thread used for seams is a grey colour, but looks spot on. Not checked pattern as some can as its full cotton. I have had to take the smock in post dye to make it a large/x large, as it comes as a xxxxL almost! New buttons sewn on are black.

The DPM items I have dyed have both been different material, and both came out differently.

The jacket is a Dutch smock that comes with a detachable gortex liner and a detachable wool liner. It is a polly cotton outer and this was the only part of the tri layers that I have dyed. The dye took well, and made the DPM (which is very similar to the UK DPM pattern) very dark, not totally black as you can see the hints of green and brown and dpm pattern when within 5 feet. I think this remaining of colour is more to do with the polly part of the outer as it doesnt dye as well. Still looks mint for me, but not a true blck, or ghost dpm.

The DPM hood I have dyed is a full cotton hood, old style size 2 hood, this went in with the jacket, and I used one of the boxes with salt for both items, you could use 2 boxes and salt but im not sure the overall result will be much different. The hood did remove all of the colour, but remains a ghost DPM (dark grey, very dark grey and black dpm pattern). I like this look the best, and if I had a full cotton smock and it finished in this ghost dpm I would have been exstatic.

The important thing to remember though is both of these dpm items are older, and dont have any anti reflective coatings on them. If the items have the coating on them then they are very difficult to dye.

The material mix of the items does make a difference. Full cotton will dye better than a polly cotton mix.

I will add photos when I can so you can see the results.

England Ram

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2011
Derby
origional colour smock.jpgorigional smock coloursmock front.jpgDyed blackparker origional dpm.jpgorigional dutch dpmparker dyed 1.jpgdyed black frontparker dyed rear.jpgBackparker hood contrast.jpgcontrast polycotton jacket and cotton hood dye effects

Last edited:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I like the way the DPM has become more subdued with dying. Still has the patterning but it more subtle. Nice.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I've not tried dyeing the snow smock, but I have done DPM C95s. The jacket is one of the old ripstops and was already faded so took the dye quite well. The trousers I did were less faded and the dye didn't take very well, just making it a bit darker.

I do like the dark DPM when it works though: just a slight bit of pattern under the black.

Claudiasboris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE