Dutch Ovens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've got one from the e-bay supplier listed but mine had feet and a recessed lid (handy for heaping coals on). It is a good bit of kit - took a little seasoning but very nice

Red

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Not sure about in the UK, but I have an old fashioned 10 inch one from Lodge Logic. Cost me $90 Canadian, but it's American Cast Iron, and will last forever compared to the Made in China stuff I find in most stores. It's the nice kind with a ridge on the lid to hold coals ontop for even baking.

Try Antique shops mate. Got myself an old cast iron skillet that is still in perfect condition for $7.00! :eek: :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cast iron is rare over here in second hand shops. BB did find a fantastic skillet once that tooka fair bit of restoring but its a very unusual find

Red

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
OzaawaaMigiziNini said:
Not sure about in the UK, but I have an old fashioned 10 inch one from Lodge Logic. Cost me $90 Canadian, but it's American Cast Iron, and will last forever compared to the Made in China stuff I find in most stores. It's the nice kind with a ridge on the lid to hold coals ontop for even baking.

I'm a bit lucky in this respect ;) as I got a Lodge Logic 'Dutch Oven' and cast iron frying pan at a US Armed Forces Base Exchange Shop. The oven was $20 and the frypan about $15.

Being a bit tight, I would not have paid full retail price for either. I've no idea if Lodge Logic have a dealer in the UK but I suspect P&P would be pretty horrendous from the US.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
OzaawaaMigiziNini said:
Really? would think with such an old history you guys would have more cast iron laying around than anyone else... besides Germany...

Anything like that would probably be sold as a twee-looking ornament, rather than as a practical cooking utensil. You can imagine the mark-up on an ornament in an antique shop... :eek:

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
British Red said:
I've got one from the e-bay supplier listed but mine had feet and a recessed lid (handy for heaping coals on). It is a good bit of kit - took a little seasoning but very nice

Red

I have the same model by the sounds of it and rate it highly. I was given a camp cookery book for Christmas (all pink frilly aprons etc :lmao: ) and have only glanced through it really, but the chapter on Dutch Ovens says that the ones with feet and a lipped lid are for camp cooking, the flat-bottomed ones for stove-top.

I suppose in all honesty you could use both for either purpose, but putting coals on the lid for baking is a definite plus IMO.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
scanker said:
I have the same model by the sounds of it and rate it highly. I was given a camp cookery book for Christmas (all pink frilly aprons etc :lmao: ) and have only glanced through it really, but the chapter on Dutch Ovens says that the ones with feet and a lipped lid are for camp cooking, the flat-bottomed ones for stove-top.

There's a book by an Australian guy called Jack Absalom which has a shedload of Dutch Oven (or 'Camp Oven' as they call it) recipes. This is him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Absalom

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
OzaawaaMigiziNini said:
Really? would think with such an old history you guys would have more cast iron laying around than anyone else... besides Germany...

Don't for get that part of that history include 2 world war in which for moral there was a load of scrap metal drives. All you have to do is walk about towns here to see where Victorian railing where cut down, When you think that the nearest big town to me (Warrington, Cheshire) even melted down their Crimean War memorial how many old cast iron pot and pans do you think went into the pot as well.

The real shame was that most of the metal recovered was of very low quality and almost useless. It was mainly used to make people feel apart of the war effort.

Back on the dutch oven I know it is not a oven but I love my 8" Skillet and lid that I got here http://www.4x4touring-gear.com/ProductCategory.aspx?id=144

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE