dutch oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
C

chopper123

hello all still collecting some gear for this years bushcrafting
and was wondering what and were is the best place to get a dutch oven from
ive noticed the prices vary so thinkingso does the quality
so what make have most of you gone for and from were
cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I went for the GSi 10" ally version from Lurch, the idea being that it's a bit lighter for canoe trips and it's also easier to keep clean.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
I have a couple of cast ones from Mr Sunshine and two Bedouries and a couple of Aussie campovens from Southern Metalspinners - these are spun steel. They are also top people.

Good luck

Stephen

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most of the ones I've used have been from Lodge Cast Iron. They're all easy to clean if you season it propperly before first use. When you're through just put the empty oven on hot coals and once it's smoking hot pour a bit of water in it. It will steam violently and all the blackened bits will dislodge from the hot iron and wipe out. To season it just heat it thoroughly and wipe it with a generous amount of cooking oil (vegetable oil, peanut oil, hog fat, what-ever, as long as it's something with a high temperature smoke point) then heat a bit more to let all the pores in the iron open up so the oil will permeate it good. If you do it right the iron will turn black and develop almost a no-stick finnish. Reoil after every wash.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE