Dutch Oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
I have been looking at Dutch ovens recently and I would like one to play with but dont know what size to go for, something that holds 6 meals would be good but do I get one that is small and can only do this amount of food or get a bigger one? Will a smaller one burn food easier? Is a smaller one easer to get heat in to? Will a larger one tick over a lot nicer on a fire due to more iron?
To be used directly in a fire and not suspended over.
I am looking at the range offered by Ronniesunshines on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LGE-DUTCH-OVE...ryZ16036QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
The one you linked to is the one we've got and it's fantastic. Big enough to feed six big blokes. We've done allsorts in it - baked bread, cakes and pizza and the obvious slow cooked stews etc.

It looks the same as one at Trek Direct although they say it's a smaller capacity. Quite a bit cheaper though. No connection with Trek Direct except I ordered something on Sunday and haven't got it yet. :lmao:

We do use a tripod and chain (made from fencing pins) to suspend it over the fire, as we found you need to get it a bit away from the heat for simmering. Lidl were recently doing a tripod bbq you might be able to adapt, or you never know, make something from sticks!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
You might also want to have a look at South African potjie pots. These are round bottomed dutch ovens on three legs. They are available from several suppliers in the UK. I just bought a size 1/2 potjie from Unbeaten Tracks, which will take 2 meals. This was the cheapest site I could find.

Geoff

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
Will a larger one tick over a lot nicer on a fire due to more iron?
To be used directly in a fire and not suspended over.

I have a couple from Ronnie and they are brilliant. First thing you need to get some good advice on how to use these things the book you want is called something like outback cooking with camp ovens by one of my heroes Jack Absalom. The man was a proper bushman long before all these new kids. Top book, you should be able to get it off ebay from OZ for not a lot of money.

Camp ovens do not go in the fire. You can suspend them over a fire for boiling and that sort of thing but the way to cook in them is as follows.

You can put them on a fire briefly to heat them up a bit but that is usually unnecessary.
Make your fire, Oil your oven, (they should alway alway have a patina of oil on them.) Somewhere near by dig a shallow pit for the oven 3" or so deep. Place hot coals into the pit and put the oven on top of the coals. Legs or no legs doesn't really matter. You need to let it get up to heat - trial and error I am afraid although there is a paper test which I can tell you about if your interested. Once you're happy the oven is hot place whatever you're cooking into the oven, place the lid on and put a layer of hot coals on top of the lid (that's why the big ones have rims. Now assuming you have not overdone the heating you can go about your business and let the oven get on with it. The cast iron gets hot uniformily so you get the oven effect the coals will get cooler so you're unlikely to burn you food. You will need a pot lid lifter - I usually make one out of something green and then toss it in the fire at the end of the camp. My mate and I cooked for 10 using my two weekend just gone, soda bread, fruit damper, smokey beef cassarole and seasoned chicken

If I can help any further just get in touch -

All the best and good luck

Stephen
Ronnies big one with legs will do six meals easy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE