Dutch Oven Roast Chicken

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nunzionuk

Hi All,

Can anyone help me here? I have a 4Ltr oven, and want to do a roast chicken for a group of about 4/5 people.

Now give me a normal oven, and I am a king of cooking, but this is the first time I have tried anything more than burgers and sausages over a campfire. Does anyone have any hints or tips?

Thanks in advance :)

Nunz

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Add plenty of stock/water in the bottom and keep the bird out of this whilst it cooks, this will steam the meat (very effective)

Simply suspend the dutch oven over the fire, start high and slowly lower the oven down (Dutch ovens are brutley efficient) for the last 10 mins or so cover the lid of the oven with embers to brown the skin

Unfortunaly timing wise it will be done when it is done (the joy of open fire cooking)

Hope this was helpful!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I used a trivet inside the oven, we wrapped the chicken in tinfoil with a lemon up its backside. I turned the base clockwise every 15 mins and the lid the opposite direction. It took about 2h30 -3hrs.

dutchoven1.jpg

potlifter2.jpg

potlifter4.jpg

Also works with quail, but only takes 20-30 mins

quail2.jpg

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I cook a whole chicken in my conventional over but in a large cast iron casserole. I bung a whole bottle of cheap white wine in, with some garlic, vegetables, seasoning etc. and leave to cook for a few hours. The chicken juices eventually mingle with the wine and create amazing gravy.

We once invited some friends over for dinner and they were late - by the time the chicken came out of the oven, the parsnips we'd put in had softened into the most fantastic gloupy texture. Have never got it that good since!

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
I've done roast chicken many time in a Dutch oven on multiple scout and guide camps.

I've tried it s few ways, with stock, with veg around, and straight up juts roasting the chicken. My personal favourite was just roasting the chicken by its self. The best results I've achieved were when the chicken was raised up off the floor of the Dutch oven. Frequently I've used a 6" circular cake tin (costs about 80p from asda) inverted, and rested the chicken on that.

By raising up the chicken from the floor of the dutch oven, it gives you more wiggle room in getting the temperature right. If the bottom gets too hot, you don't burn everything instantly, so the next inspection will show you to put less heat underneath.

And as others have said, it takes as long as it takes, there are too many variables with ambient temperature, wind, quality and amount of embers on the dutch oven to say how long it will take.

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
Again use a trivet liquid in the bottom cider works well add lemon juice salt and pepper a bit of garlic put veggies in as well as potatos and cook untill meat goes white

nunzionuk

Yeah, did this over the weekend, got a few things to change on next try.

One, need a shovel to put the burning coals on the top.
Two, Bigger Dutch Oven :) 4ltr was a bit too small for the chicken to fit in.
Three, not tell anyone at camp I was cooking it, damn people ate it all before I got to try some.

Other wise it turned out pretty well, cooked in about 1ltr or so of dry cider. packed some garlic on top of the birdie, and pots, red onions and carrots under it to hold it off the cider.

Thanks for all the advice :)

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
sounds good but i wouldn't call cooking in that much liquid even if it's cider "roasting"...

one tip for next time is to cut a piece of silicon baking sheet to live in the bottom of the oven this helps to cut down on burning.
you can raise the chicken off the base by cutting a lemon in half squeezing the juice into the oven and dropping the lemon halves in before putting the chicken in.
cooked one with a friend a month or so ago and doesn't like lemon so just the plain chicken. his reactions told me he wasn't lying when he said it was about the best roast chicken he'd ever had (and he keeps chickens) it was very juicy.
just keep about 80-90% of the heat on top.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE