Withdrawn Dutch Army 'Sting' Rucksack and side Pouches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
** STILL AVAILABLE**

Selling my generation 1 Dutch Army Sting rucksack and side pouches in DPM.
This is the dutch army lowe-alpine licensed copy made by Awry (supplier to the dutch army), so while not genuine Lowe Alpine, is still built to a high quality and standard, and is basically the same as the lowe alpine item. It is about 50 to 55litres in the main body, and each pouch is probably 10 litres. Has a great back adjsutment system - i find the lowe alpine APS system very comfortable as it can be adjusted nicely for your actual abck length

Selling because i have found an olive version so this is now surplus to my requirements (and the wife says '1 bag in = 1 bag out') and this just wont get used.

Good points:
- all zips, grab handles, straps and buckles are fully working and intact.
- all pockets and pouches are intact and in good order, no seams fraying etc.
- all adjustments work fine
- elastic round the lid is still 'elastic' and not baggy
- the main bag is intact, and all the padding on the straps is in good order
- the snowlock is intact
- the water bladder pouch is intact
- there are the straps for making the rocket pouches into a small day pack
- the side pouches have their external straps intact (these are often cut off apparently)

So, negative points now for full disclosure.
- This is an army surplus bag so has some wear, nothing that detracts from the use or function and has had 2 minor repairs in the past before it came into my ownership - 1 small hole on the base approx 5mm diameter has been sewn up, and one slightly larger tear on the main sack that has also been sewn up - these have been done to a good standard so presumably while it was still in service

- the colours of the main bag are quite good in general, but the 2 pouches are slightly faded

- there are 4 bar tacked areas by the flaps for the zips but i dont know what these are for, they were there when i got the bag

- there is no sternum strap, there wasnt when i got it but i dont use one anyway. One could be retrofitted i guess if you want

- there is some very faint writing under the area covered by the top flap, faint enough i dont know what it says - probably the owners name in service.

I made some modifications to it when it got it, in the form of 3 velcro fields - a larger one on the top flap (50mm wide velcro) and 2 smaller fields on each pouch - i used the fields on the pouches to label the contents (FAK etc) and the top flap area for some de riguer morale patches. I also added velcro strap tidies to each strap

Otherwise good honest pack, big enough for longer trips but with out the pouches is a decent enough size to use for shorter days out etc.

I would like £55 + £1.95 paypal fees (so total of £56.95 INC postage if paying by paypal). Happy to post it but NOT via hermes. I am also happy if anyone wants to inspect and pay cash in person, although would have to be an outdoors meet. I live near Haywards Heath in Sussex, and work in Redhill, Surrey and am happy to meet around those areas.

Photos. I am happy to take any extra photos anyone might require.

Bag
IMG_1222.JPG

Strap tidies
IMG_1224.JPG

Velcro field on top flap
IMG_1223.JPG

side of bag, other side is the same
IMG_1226.JPG

top flap elastic intact all the way round
IMG_1227.JPG

base of bag
IMG_1232.JPG

inside is intact, as is snowlock
IMG_1228.JPG

small area of writing, no idea what it says
IMG_1229.JPG

repair 1
IMG_1230.JPG

repair 2
IMG_1231.JPG

Any question or for further photos please PM me or reply here

thanks

Ed

Last edited:

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
oh and here are the weird bar tacked areas, there are 4 top and bottom of each zip flap on the front. No idea. They arent holes from what i can see .

View attachment 63222
Great bags these, I have 2. Just for your info the bar tacks appear to be covering slots where the webbing straps for the side pouches should go through the zip flaps. Don't think it makes any difference to the functionality of the bag. Looks like professional work though.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Great bags these, I have 2. Just for your info the bar tacks appear to be covering slots where the webbing straps for the side pouches should go through the zip flaps. Don't think it makes any difference to the functionality of the bag. Looks like professional work though.

that’s what I wondered as I have those straps on my other one, BUT this is a gen 1 bag which didn’t have those straps and there is no evidence of the straps or the buckles they feed into ever being on the bag. Maybe some soldier somewhere modified it but then changed their mind and over-sewed some holes they had cut? No idea, lost in the midst of time! They don’t affect the functionality though, and the gen 1 bag had different quasi-PALS method of attaching the pouches as well as the zips

Last edited:
Reactions: JFW

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Hi. Do you still have the Dutch army rucksack for sale?
Yes I do, it’s currently at my brothers house at the moment an hour away from me and I can’t get it due to the lockdown, him and I went on a hike a couple of days before lockdown and took it back with him, we were planning to meet up the following weekend but that obviously didn’t happen.

I can sort something though if you are interested?

Reactions: Pesh1

Pesh1

Jan 15, 2021
London
Yes I do, it’s currently at my brothers house at the moment an hour away from me and I can’t get it due to the lockdown, him and I went on a hike a couple of days before lockdown and took it back with him, we were planning to meet up the following weekend but that obviously didn’t happen.

I can sort something though if you are interested?
Hi MrEd,

thanks for getting back to me about the rucksack. I’ve actually found another one on the internet, they’re asking for £60 and they’re saying it’s in a good Grade 1 condition. I think I’d have to pay some postage on top of the £60. So I’m a little unsure about what move to make. I’ll think on it for a day or so I think. I do like the look of yours, it looks like a good one. I’m not that worried about the small repairs, and I like the little mods that you’ve made with the Velcro patches.
I'm a little bit envious about you getting an olive green version, you did well there mate. I’ve not come across one on my hunt so I’d say they’re pretty uncommon.
Anyway thanks again for letting me know about the situation with the bag and I’ll get back to you soon if I decide on your one.

cheers,
Simon

Reactions: MrEd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE