Duke of Edinburgh/Internships

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 19, 2007
Essex
Hello,

(I apologise now if this is in the wrong forum, if it is please could it be moved to the correct one)

My name is Joanne, 23, and I'm currently participating in the Duke of Edinburgh gold Direct Award. For my Skills section of the award I'd like to learn bushcraft from an expert in the field over a continual period of 12 months (averaging at 1-2 hours per week). I have tried searching online for extended periods of bushcraft events and teachings but they only seem to range for about a week at max (and some can be very costly for a student) which is of little use to me.

So I'm writing to enquire if there is, or anyone knows of, a bushcraft expert (preferable from a registered organization so the award can track back to them, they wont accept teachings from a 'friend') who will be prepared to take on a student for a max of 2 hours per week (paid of course) for a duration of 12 months (although I can minimise this to 6 months but would need forewarning first!) starting in September 2007 (as I might be in America until September on a Camp programme).

I am not doing this to profit from or to teach others (although the skills learnt can aid with my Scouting), mearly to learn about a subject I have been interested in for a while now. I have had experience outdoors through my time spent with Scouts (I am training to be an assistant leader as part of my Service section of the DoE award) and camping with friends and family and DoE practises.

You will be taking on an honest, reliable, friendly and humourous person who is not screamish and enjoys a challenge with novice bushcraft skills.

I will be based in the Swindon/Wiltshire area in September but I do have a car and will be able to travel to surrounding counties should the need be. My weekends will be free and certain evening times as well (although I'm not sure which ones yet)

If you, or you know anyone who might be interested, you can contact me via email: jojocupcakes@hotmail.co.uk or 98065576@writtle.ac.uk and I will send you my mobile so we can discuss any matters futher.

Many thanks for taking the time out to read this! I hope someone is able to help.

- Joanne

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi JoJocupcakes
Try www.woodcraftschool.co.uk they do an instructor course over a full year. Its probably not really what your after being 50 days over the whole year, but who know it may lead to a future career in Bushcraft? Anyway it will definally get you your D of E!
Maybe worth a look? Ta Ed
As ever I have no connection to this company.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Hi Joanne

Have you tried your local Council D of E rep? They usually have different courses going on or at least contacts but as Bushcraft is a fairly new addition to the D of E syllabus not many organisations are using it yet.

I work for the Seacadets and have run a Bushcraft exploration expedition recently at Bronze level which went well but as yet not run a full skills section due to operating in London and not having access to the countryside every week.

Surely someone in the scouting world can help you out though. Have they got a forum to ask your question?

I am having an interview for the course Ed mentioned in June so if you take that route maybe see you there.

Cheers

George

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
jojocupcakes said:
My name is Joanne, 23, and I'm currently participating in the Duke of Edinburgh gold Direct Award. For my Skills section of the award I'd like to learn bushcraft from an expert in the field over a continual period of 12 months (averaging at 1-2 hours per week). I have tried searching online for extended periods of bushcraft events and teachings but they only seem to range for about a week at max (and some can be very costly for a student) which is of little use to me.

Jo, I am a DofE Assesor and certainly in my authority we don't insist on a hour tutored activity every week, far from it.

Talk to your auithority but I would have thought a day every two months with a tutor followed by an hour a week agreed activities by yourself at home would be perfectly inkeeping with the aims of the award.

There is not a Governing Body for Bushcraft so one mans expert is another mans :censored: idiot, so it doesn't matter who you work with so long as you are learning to a plan and show progress.

The page shown on www.theaward.org.uk is after all just a guidline, I use it as staring point and tailor activities for specific people, as for working at home many of mine do all of it at home eg Scrapbooking, Music Appreciation, Painting so that shouldn't be a problem.

If you need somebody to suggest a years programme then reply here and I will make a suggestion somthing for your authority. In practice I have had people learn new skills from books or DVDs (play guitar, tapestry making) and that is just as valid as going to a class.

Everybody has their own preferred learning style, if yours is working in a class or one to one then go for it, but many people prefer to learn from books. So long as you have an assesor who knows what they are talking about and they agree you can do it anyway that suits you.

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE