Dual survivor

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i get the science,...

but come on,...

CHOOSING no shoes or trousers,...

then again,..did you see the ice break,...it wasnt exactly permafrost was it?....only just above freezing imo,....

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Yes he does the whole series barefoot: snow, lava fields, swamps, jungle etc.. Well worth a watch as I learned bits from each one & it's good entertainment. There are several other threads on this but another one cant hurt. You can see all of Series 1 on YouTube, like I did 6 months or so back.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Yes he does the whole series barefoot: snow, lava fields, swamps, jungle etc.. Well worth a watch as I learned bits from each one & it's good entertainment. There are several other threads on this but another one cant hurt. You can see all of Series 1 on YouTube, like I did 6 months or so back.

When I was a kid, we knew a wild haired guy called Jalal who went everywhere barefoot, preferred to walk than travel in cars and claimed he was from Venus. Watching him chop wood barefoot in the snow is one of my earliest memories. Yes, he was a freak.

Not sure why I felt the need to tell you that story.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Waiy yill he comes back with a gator for tea....

Great series with two pretty genuine nutters who each have something to teach us, such as the importance of suitable footwear or how to find dangerous animals in any environment, two key skills in the Discovery channels nature programmes

Curiously addictive, as you watch the series develop you notice that Dave turns into the 'husband' (goes out and brings home the bacon/warthog/gator/whatever and Cody turns into the 'wife' and constructs the shelter, tends the fire etc.

Should we be worried? maybe not.......

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I enjoyed the series. Its interesting to note that there isn't a single episode where going barefoot was really a benefit, although the reasoning behind Cody's choice is quite sound. His aim is to move slowly and deliberately and pay attention to what's around him. That's great when you are hunting and gathering, but when you are trying to "travel" (which is what they are doing) and want to move quickly, it does not seem such a good option.

I found the serie pretty good, but is a show, from time to time they just do some crazy stuff just to spice up the show. like killing a gator with a knife? man that's just unneeded. IMHO I prefer Cody's thinking to the other guy (sorry I forgot the name) which is all military stuff.

Cheers!

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Why?

Because you thought we might find it interesting Ronnie.

...and I did!

Thank you.

wackojacko

Dec 27, 2010
Cheshire
Episode Soaked part 1 made me laugh, Cody going down the river at the start full wet weather gear and trainers, no sign of shorts and bare feet ! :lmao: Entertaining stuff though.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I grew up in Australia and only wore shoes if forced into it. Never a problem.

Carried on with the habit when I moved to the UK - even did the Great North Run barefoot, twice (all the discarded bottletops were worse than ruddy thorns). Use to run in the snow, no problems.

Only got out of the habit when I moved onto a boat - padding about in water or mud outside the boat softens skin, too often there are broken bottles or tins at the water's edge. So my feet are soft now.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Blokes name is Dave Canterbury, and he has a youtube account called wilderness outfitters.

Very good and interesting videos. He actually has changed over the time I watched him there. He used to carry a Tracker, but went to the Mora etc.

Been really looking forward to this show, it should be interesting because they give two opinions.

I wonder if the barefoot bloke has had his DNA checked. There is a viking gene that lets you deal with the cold better. Might be a question for John Fenna but I know I got it from Survival Weaponery and techniques, and that is the fact that there is a mental aspect to how our bodies react to things like temperture. In the Martial Arts, we condition ourselves to take a certain amount of punishment, and not react the way our bodies want to. There is a blood pressure treatment were they hook you up and teach you how to control you pulse. What I am trying to get at is that like anything you can condition yourself to deal with conditions better.

Ivan Owen

Tenderfoot
Blokes name is Dave Canterbury, and he has a youtube account called wilderness outfitters.
I wonder if the barefoot bloke has had his DNA checked. There is a viking gene that lets you deal with the cold better. Might be a question for John Fenna but I know I got it from Survival Weaponery and techniques, and that is the fact that there is a mental aspect to how our bodies react to things like temperture. In the Martial Arts, we condition ourselves to take a certain amount of punishment, and not react the way our bodies want to. There is a blood pressure treatment were they hook you up and teach you how to control you pulse. What I am trying to get at is that like anything you can condition yourself to deal with conditions better.

You can actually learn to stop being bothered by pain, i'm not sure what extent this goes to but try next time you cut yourself or anything, just think: 'actually this doesnt hurt' and it sort of stops hurting. It's kinda cool, works with cold too, but as i say dunno to what extent.

Think it's related to the placebo effect stuff.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Thats what John Rambo was trained to do, ignore pain, live off the land and eat things that would make a Billy Goat puke!
I actualy bought a Dave Cantabry Pathfinder knife last month and it aint bad, I will make a few clones I think finnish it a bit better thoe!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE