Drying out roots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Damo74

Aug 6, 2012
Lincolnshire
Hi everyone

I keep reading about drying out roots for example dandelion roots to make a coffee substitute.My question is this and please forgive me if it's that obvious but how do you dry them out? Do you just leave them out in the open to dry or is there a process involved and if there is what is it.

Many thanks sorry if it's a stupid question but just humour me :rolleyes:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
i made dandelion coffee from the roots
just pulled them out of ground washed off mud placed in a really low oven and checked them every 5 mins or so
once they felt cooked i ground them up drank several cups and then sent the night getting up for a comfort stop every half hour :)

There's a reason it's called "pissenlit" in France...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know how roasted vegetables that are slightly caramelised, taste better ?

Well it's the same with dandelion roots. They should be slow dried but almost sweetened by the roasting before being cooled and stored, or ground up for coffee.

Done like that they're not quite such an effective diuretic either.

Dandelion roots just dried out, not roasted, really make a tea.......and that really does make you feel that desperate urge to empty the bladder :rolleyes:

You can do the roasting in a dry frying pan, if you watch what you're doing and shoogle it often so they dry all over and don't just scorch one side.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:eek: :eek:

I got queried in the Mods yesterday too for saying that someone would start a rammy in an empty house :rolleyes:

We just use words that are normal to us............shoogle = shake them around gently, a kind of shaking stir about. Like being on a bus or underground train that's too full and going too fast.
See, the Scot's is easier than that mouthful :D

Oh, and a rammy is a right royal brawl with yelling, screeching, and threats of imminent raised fists, etc., think bar fight and you'll get the idea, sort of.

I've just checked; the dictionary says that shoogle is Scottish *and* Northern English, so there you go :D

cheers,
M

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....I've just checked; the dictionary says that shoogle is Scottish *and* Northern English, so there you go :D.....

shoogle makes perfect sense to me, can't recall ever hearing it before but it's instantly obvious what you meant by it, i think a lot of dialectal language is like that. case in point; i could have said "....if you watch what you're doing and keep giving it a quick jazzle so they dry all over and don't just scorch one side." and i'd expect you to understand me too, it's all about the "flavour" of words IMO :)

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
I like most understood shoogle. People have given me amused looks when I 'chuggled' a mug of hot liquid. As Iam now in Kent no one knows what a 'Cuddy' is (its an animal). Either of those in the dictionary?

Mike

Damo74

Aug 6, 2012
Lincolnshire
Loving these sayings

Round our way we mackle things as in to make something for a task or my fav Manchester something which means to repair something or bodge something.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE