Drying goretex lined boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Long story short, its been a bit wet here, and certain puddle looked alot shallower than it actually was.

Now, i can dry my boxers, tshirt and hat no bother :lmao:

But what about goretex lined boots? Its the first time ive gotten them wet inside, and im unsure whether drying them near a fire will damage the lining in someway?
Or is it best to just stuff them with newspaper and let them air dry

bowji john

Silver Trader
I had to jump into the river after my dog yesterday - as I'm a swift water rescue instructor, I know it to be a no no - but I defy anyone not to do the same for yer mate

Boots - also lined with goretex - ended up as buckets of water

dried by using newspaper and placing them next to fire

Once dried will be liberally treated with dubbin

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Don't dry leather near any heat source if you want it to last and perform; 20 degrees and lots of moving air is the way to go. Stuff them with newspaper or any other absorbent material like old cut up cotton, but only leave it in there 'till it gets wet then change it for dry stuff. Moving air is the main thing.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Remove the insoles if possible, as above stuff with news papers, or place a doubled plastic bag inside the boot, and fill with warm water, or a chemical hand warmer, and place in a warm room, make the membrane work as it was designed to.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My SIL is a project supervisor with a top-end landscaping company in Vancouver BC.
Hard, cold, heavy rain through most of his winters and he'd come home soaked.

So, I built him a boot dryer: Wooden box with an older 8" computer fan in one side.
Out of the top, multiple plastic chimneys with lots of 1/4" holes in the top 3".
Dry by bedtime!, Gloves as well.

Somebody makes these things. Crescent Spur Heliski is a lodge for 8(?) clients at a time.
No kidding = they have a rack to do 8 pairs of ski boots and 8 pairs of gloves.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yup remove laces so the tounge can be pulled forward to increase air circulation, remove footbeds and leave somewhere warm but away from direct heat; that includes popping them on top of a radiator. As to stuffing with newspaper/rags generally I'd say not too unless you are going to change it every half hour or so. If you don't it's just more wet mass and it stops air circulation. The air circulation helps drying and also stops it being a warm moist environment which acts as a incubator for bacteria which can cause foot problems and also makes your boots stinky.
You can get driers that are filled will moisture absorbing crystals or ones which are like mini low power hair driers that force the air circulation.
If your boots do.have a habit of getting stinky you can will them up with warm very salty water, leave them over night and it'll kill the bacteria. Rinse and dry as above. You can also use baking soda as a powder to do a dry version of it.
It's also a good idea to take the footbeds out at the end of the day as sweat builds up under there and again it helps the health of your feet. And if you can leave them exposed to sunlight the UV will also help keep them smelling sweet.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
absolutely do not dry them near any heat source. the leather will dry too quickly, shrink and crack.

best thing is as is written below. remove laces and foot beds. place tight rolled balls of newspaper inside. replace every half hour till bed time. Allow to dry slowly over night and check in the morning. Do not retreat with leather grease/polish/oil until the leather is completley dry.....

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Thanks for the replys, some interesting ones.

Keeping it simple, stuffed full of newspaper and will take it out before sleep to let the air in. With my luck id burst the bags of hot water and be back to the start :rolleyes:

Next time by Goretex socks and unlined boots!

I tried wearing trail shoes along with Sealskinz waterproof socks for a while. I noticed damp feet after 10 miles or so if lucky, thought it was sweat. After about 30 miles combined from several trips, i decided to fill them with water, and they were like a sprinkler, lots of tiny little leaks all over.

I think it was just little bits of dirt on my feet and inside my shoes that damaged the first pair over time. How many times have you had a pine needle,or thorn etc jag you through a sock.
Im trying a diffrent make now, think its Dexshell, but not used enough to comment really.

But then,i had read that the lining can fail on boots also, so i did consider non lined boots before buying the goretex ones. Cant make up my mind what i prefer yet to be honest, everything has its plus and downsides.

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
You need to think how gortex performs...it's needs heat inside the boot to permeate vapour through the membrane. A damp environment caused by damp newspaper will stay there. Newspaper inside the boots for any initial mop up then remove and place in a warm room, nowhere near a heat source. The very best way to dry gortex lined boots? Wear them.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Here's a novel idea = try changing the newspaper every few hours! Winter house air is notoriously dry so the newspaper can be used again and again.
As I explained in my Post#6, build a boot/glove dryer from junk and be done with it forever. Turn it on, go to bed.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That link is broken.
Can you not find any junk computer fans to build a junk boot drier?
I have a dozen fans. As they might die, I will refit and move on.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
You need to think how gortex performs...it's needs heat inside the boot to permeate vapour through the membrane. A damp environment caused by damp newspaper will stay there. Newspaper inside the boots for any initial mop up then remove and place in a warm room, nowhere near a heat source. The very best way to dry gortex lined boots? Wear them.

Got to argee with this, wear them then once dry load up with dubbin/polish

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE