Drying gear in your sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys!

I have a question concerning drying wet mittens or other gear overnight in a sleeping bag.
I always thought that this is a no no to take something moist or wet into your sleeping bag and dry them over night. Do you do that? What is your experience with it? I was just reading a travel rapport from a Swedish guy going through the Siberian wilderness and he is telling that he is drying his mittens in the sleeping bag!?
cheers

Abbe

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
In norway I dried most of my clothing in my sleeping bag without any problems. There is even people that have ½ liter of water in their sleeping bag without any problems. The problems can be if you use a down bag.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Viking said:
In norway I dried most of my clothing in my sleeping bag without any problems. There is even people that have ½ liter of water in their sleeping bag without any problems. The problems can be if you use a down bag.

Whow, that I didn't know cool knowledge. Next time I am out in the woods I try it out.
thanks mate!

cheers
Abbe

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
if you are using a sythetic bag and the items you wish to dry are small like mittens or socks then it works.

I wouldn't attempt it in a down sleeping bag though.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Bear in mind that the reason he probably dried these items in his sleeping bag is that if you're in Siberia, anything material that you leave out overnight whilst wet will probably resemble a brick by the next morning. Better to be slightly damp in your sleeping bag for one night than gloveless for the next day! :)

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Buffalo used to list drying wet clothing as a feature of their double bag system.

Stuff put between the two bags would be dry by morning they claimed. They are fairly immune to damp, almost as warm wet as dry is another feature of the bags and clothing.

Bill

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
match said:
Bear in mind that the reason he probably dried these items in his sleeping bag is that if you're in Siberia, anything material that you leave out overnight whilst wet will probably resemble a brick by the next morning. Better to be slightly damp in your sleeping bag for one night than gloveless for the next day! :)

You dont need to go to siberia to expereince that. I always sleep with all my clothes in my sleeping (even the boots). This way my clothes will be dry and warm when I am getting dressed in the morning. Then the fun begins, getting dressed while in a sleeping bag :eek:):

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
tenbears10 said:
Buffalo used to list drying wet clothing as a feature of their double bag system.

Stuff put between the two bags would be dry by morning they claimed. They are fairly immune to damp, almost as warm wet as dry is another feature of the bags and clothing.

Bill

I LOVE Buffalo gear!!!!

Their website still states that the fastest way to dry their mountain shirt is to wear it :eek:):

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Viking said:
You dont need to go to siberia to expereince that. I always sleep with all my clothes in my sleeping (even the boots). This way my clothes will be dry and warm when I am getting dressed in the morning. Then the fun begins, getting dressed while in a sleeping bag :eek:):

Exactly! :biggthump I've always liked the armholes in the Nanok bags, then you can sit and have breakfast in your bag and not get out until you have to leave! :eek:):

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Yep, the British Army issue bag even has little netting pockets just inside the zip so you can stuff your wet socks in there to dry next to your body! :wink:

leon-1

tenbears10 said:

Bill

One of the theories behind this was the high wicking nature of pile as a fabric, I can vouch that pile even when damp will keep you warm as long as you have a windproof shell on it and thier system used to have pertex as an outer IIRC which would then disseminate the liquid over a larger area and then evaporate. The only thing with the Buffalo system was that it was huge :wink: Good, but HUGE :eek:):

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
bambodoggy said:
I LOVE Buffalo gear!!!!

Their website still states that the fastest way to dry their mountain shirt is to wear it :eek:):

Certainly is. I've owned a special 6 mountain shirt for years and it works brilliantly. I just wish I could afford (and fit into) their sleeping bags.

simon

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
I'd like to add this wrinkle -- not sure if it makes any difference, but I put socks or mittens in my pants pockets to dry them. I'm not in a bag, but usually under a quilt. Works very well.

Could someone point me to this Buffalo gear website?

Bear

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
pants pocket?
is anyone else thinking that?
It came to me to check where he comes from.

I normaly put my kit in the bottom of my sleeping bag. Boots go between the sleeping bag and bivi bag

leon-1

dchinell said:
I'd like to add this wrinkle -- not sure if it makes any difference, but I put socks or mittens in my pants pockets to dry them. I'm not in a bag, but usually under a quilt. Works very well.

Could someone point me to this Buffalo gear website?

Bear

Hi mate, this is their homepage, I'll warn you now Buffalo isn't cheap, but they are well respected over here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE