Drying food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Jerky is faster for me to make because it's so much thinner. Fabulous bird-hunting snack.
I use bison burger and cure/seasonings from Cabela's (High Mountain Original).
Out of the Cabela's Jerky pistol, 1 lb/454g will lay a 3/4" strip 17' long.
I run the deyhdrator at 55C until the jerky is very stiff.
Low oven at 250F, I can make it fairly crispy if I want to.
There's never any waste.

I know which temperature to use because I did the experiments years ago.
I wrote the best results in the dryer instruction manual.
No guess-work at all.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There is an unwritten trick to making jerky strips from burger = ground up meat ('mince,' whatever you like to call it) :
You know how burger has a granular texture? Cooked or dried like that, it's really crumbly?

Add the cure and seasoning to suit yourself. To mix it in, put on a pair of those cheap disposable vinyl gloves.

Mix and mix and mix and mix and mix.
Mix until you notice that the meat is no longer granular, that it is now really stringy.
The "stringiness" is what holds it together, even in hamburgers on a grill.
Load the pistol and get busy. I use double size cake racks over sheet pans for the oven version.

I do the same for meatballs, dolmades, kefthedes and so on. They really hang together and this does not make for a tough texture, either.
I was just as sceptical as you are when it was explained to me. As a matter of fact, it really does work as expected!

High Mountian Brand: Original spice mix. Peppercorn spice mix is too zippy.
Buy one of each and mix them together. Goldilocks would be pleased.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE