Drying Birch polypore (Piptoporus betulinus)?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hartung

Nov 27, 2005
Europe
Plaster 1
I have no clue were to take the plaster off the polypore. This thread shows one example: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33686&highlight=birch+polypore. What is done there is the pore layer that is cut away. You can do that by only inserting your finger between the pore layer and the flesh of the polypore. Than run your finger between both layers and the pore layer lifts off quite easily without breaking.

4-RIMG0020600pix.jpg

5-RIMG0022600pix.jpg

Plaster 2
I cut several polypore into 3-4mm thick slices and dried them beside the heating. Once dry they easily break when being bent. But put under water for just a few seconds rehydrate perfectly and look and feel like fresh polypore. Sorry no pics of the dried onses. Perhaps tomorrow.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh good example :D

Big maggot that one though, the ones that ate mine to hollow shells were about about 5 or 6mm long and only as thick as a pencil lead.
Probably a million beasties eat these fungi :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE