Drumskin

thecalbanner

May 24, 2010
hereford
i put a skin on a djembe last year an i used raw goat. first soak it and stretch it evenly over metal rings tie it down dry it which will make it taught an shave it with a razor blade (thats a careful job mind) on african drums the centre line of the spine should run vertical on the drum skin when playing. have fun man

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I looked into this a while back but other things got in way.

Traditionallly in Northern Europe vellum made from calf skin was used for military drum skins. I'm told the stuff from Pakistan is no good but the alternatives were prohibitively expensive.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4814566_make-vellum.html

What really put the mockers on it for me was the bodies of the sort of drum I wanted to make where made from steam bent 1/4 inch oak and I lack the facilities, like a boat yard, that can handle
that!

Linen rope was used for tensioning the skin, best bought from a e shop called "bound to please" in my experiance.

Best of luck with it!

Tom

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
You can get English Red Deer rawhide from here to make drumskins.

Sorry, they are out of stock...There is another site, but I can't think of the name at the moment. I'll post when I remember it...That might take some time though....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I have a rawhide goatskin sitting here doing nothing. I bought it many years ago to repair a bohdran and never got round to it. I can bring it along to the moot if required. You can buy them from people like Tandy Leathercraft or the Identity store.

EdS

Round Green Deer farm - Barnsley would most likley sell you a skin.

ROUND GREEN DEER FARM

Great Britain VENISON FARM, ROUND GREEN LANE, WORSBROUGH
S75 3DR BARNSLEY, SOUTH YORKSHIRE

Phone: 01226 205577
fax Fax: 01226 281294
GEO: 53.516105, -1.516087
E-mail: Send message
Homepage: roundgreenfarm.co.uk

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Just a little caveat here with drumskins.

I have been known to do a little leatherwork from time to time and have always kept an eye on related things.

I read in a journal some time ago about a drum maker chap in London who had contracted anthrax - they believe from some contamination on goat skins (raw hide not tanned) imported from Africa.

This is anecdotal of course and I can offer no further evidence - it just made me a little more wary of such imports

ATB
Dave

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Just a little caveat here with drumskins.

I have been known to do a little leatherwork from time to time and have always kept an eye on related things.

I read in a journal some time ago about a drum maker chap in London who had contracted anthrax - they believe from some contamination on goat skins (raw hide not tanned) imported from Africa.

This is anecdotal of course and I can offer no further evidence - it just made me a little more wary of such imports

ATB
Dave
His name was Fernando Gomez, he died in 2008

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Sounds a good un...
ahoy.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE