Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
ginger-tams.jpg

ginger tams all the way

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No worries. We use both of them as there are few places to get hold of the really good stuff. Have a try of Tyrconnel if you fancy a different Irish....very good indeed for the money I think

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
No worries. We use both of them as there are few places to get hold of the really good stuff. Have a try of Tyrconnel if you fancy a different Irish....very good indeed for the money I think

That's one I haven't tried yet. I'll have a look after Xmas;). The other one I've never been able to get hold of is Jameson's 15 year, I think it was a special for duty free only though.
:thumbup:

touched by nature

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
BR !!!! WHAT??? is that for personal use ? :D :D I move to UK. Just tell me where you live :D Awesome. I'm brewing some more beer tomorrow, it's a nice job that beer making...
This morning I went on a walk to gather some snowball-tree berries (don't know how you call it - Viburnum opulus). Berries are adored as gin ingredient but I never tried that before. It was -18 today and the bush was full of birds from siberia Bohemian Waxwing munching on them and that's a sign that A LOT of cold is coming in, these birds leave North when it get's really cold there and move south. lovely birds, amazing colors.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
BR !!!! WHAT??? is that for personal use ? :D :D I move to UK. Just tell me where you live :D Awesome. I'm brewing some more beer tomorrow, it's a nice job that beer making...

Friends and family. We brew large batches and let it mature ...I have mead that is many years old. The port is much better after a year in the bottle. We try not to buy much wine and beer - so 10 gallons is two glasses of wine per person, per week!

This morning I went on a walk to gather some snowball-tree berries (don't know how you call it - Viburnum opulus). Berries are adored as gin ingredient but I never tried that before. It was -18 today and the bush was full of birds from siberia Bohemian Waxwing munching on them and that's a sign that A LOT of cold is coming in, these birds leave North when it get's really cold there and move south. lovely birds, amazing colors

We have some waxwings this year - which is nice

Viburnum opulus is, I think, the Guelder Rose

Guelder Rose by British Red, on Flickr

Guelder Rose Flower by British Red, on Flickr

Guelder Rose Leaf by British Red, on Flickr

Do you really use that in gin??? Do tell me more please!

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This morning I went on a walk to gather some snowball-tree berries (don't know how you call it - Viburnum opulus). Berries are adored as gin ingredient but I never tried that before. It was -18 today and the bush was full of birds from siberia Bohemian Waxwing munching on them and that's a sign that A LOT of cold is coming in, these birds leave North when it get's really cold there and move south. lovely birds, amazing colors.

I didn't know you could use them in gin, we have a lot of Guelder rose berries so will buy a botle of gin and give it a go. Lucky you with the waxwings, none here that I've seen.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
BR, Elen, in some regions in Lithuania, where they make a lot of home made vodka (moonshine), you would not find any of these berries as they all are stripped before birds come. I had to go on a long walk in my area just to get to ONE bush I know to get them (left plenty for birds). :) I plan to plant a lot of these in my "forest garden" because of the many uses it has for nature and because there are so few of the bush around. It has been treated as useless bush for many years by forestry people and removed from local woods. Birds love them, people sing about them. In spirits it's usually very simple to use, just chuck them in a bottle and fill it up with the thing you got, the stronger the drink the better, because you lose a little degrees to berries. It gives a great taste and color. CAREFUL it's considered poisonous before the frost bites it. So have a read in literature for local refference.
Yes, waxwings are very awesome birds, I love when they come, although it means more cold :D
Andy

My today's cooking adventure: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96832

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
We've just enjoyed a couple of Pink Gins which were scrummy and now await delivery of a take away...heresy for some, but our local is pretty good, time to chill out now :)

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
OK?? :) So you plant them also? That's cool. People out here don't really understand why I would plant a bush instead of a @proper@ tree, but hey, what do they know! Spring come, I take my camera and show you more of my "garden" :D Plenty to do and to see there :)

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I've been reading about the Guelder rose uses a bit. Apparently they're not to be touched before frost OR you must freeze them in freezer OR boil them in boiling water. That's why birds don't like them before real colds. Most common use is to heal cough. Just make a tea out of berries and add sugar or honey. It doesn't taste nice, but it does work miracles they say. You need to drink at least 3 cups of tea a day. Some just mix the berries with honey and use it like that, although I doubt about the consistency. You can drink tea to calm blood pressure and as a relief for heart sores.... Basically it has good calming properties and if you feel unwell you should drink some tea to give it a go... I'm saving the berries I gathered as the "white hunger" left the only bush stripped clear. No one ill to try though :D :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Following your write up Milius I added an extra 20 Guelder Rose to a new section of hedging we have planted (along with Blackthorn, hazel, crab apple etc.) - edible hedge :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE