drinking water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tom57

Jan 1, 2008
london
hi, i am planning a trip to loch lomond and the lochs nearby with a friend sometime in the future. is the water in loch lomond, ard, chon and maybe loch katrine safe to drink if boiled??

any help would be appreciated
thanks
tom

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you don't mind the taste of diesel Loch Lomond should be fine ;)

With any of the waters you've listed I'd use a Millbank bag first to remove any particles, then a rolling boil for a minute should be enough to make it safe.

Try and find a source of running fresh water wherever possible though.

There's lots of opinions on this but that's what I do and I'm still here :)

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Is Loch katrine safe to drink I hope so it's primary water reservoir for much of the city of Glasgow and its surrounding areas before treatment. :rolleyes:
Look for burns running into the loch as a water source.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Boiling kills everything but doesn't get rid of chemicals.I have always filtered and boiled my water when out and I have survived 42 years.
I suppose that makes me a survival expert, 42 years experience,and still learning.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I spent 5 days on Loch Lomond and drank the water without any ill effect. I filtered with a millbank and then boiled. Try to collcet your water from aleast an arms depth below the surface to avoid most of the particles etc.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I spent 5 days on Loch Lomond and drank the water without any ill effect. I filtered with a millbank and then boiled. Try to collcet your water from aleast an arms depth below the surface to avoid most of the particles etc.

Another vote for filter and boiling Lomond water. It's fine. I was there for about week last year, paddling round the islands. We didn't taste any fuel taints.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE