Drinking horns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
Thought I'd put up a pic of my small drinking horn, not sure how to get it from the gallery to here lol. This one is 9 1/2" measured straight-line from tip to top and is just about right for an evenings mead drinking. I do have another that can take a full bottle of mead but I generally only use that when I'm at a heathen moot :)

I got the horn cored but otherwise rough and needing a lot of work from the Tewkesbury Medieval fair a couple of years ago. Much bottle-brushing and filling with bleach, sterilising tabs and finally washing up liquid (left overnight filled with each) got rid of the remaining gunk and smell then it was cured the old-fashioned way, with alcohol :) 24 hours filled with Guinness (stout is apparently the best thing to cure a new horn with) and it was finally ready for its trial run.

Best tip when cleaning out a horn is to use your nose. If it still smells 'horny' then it needs more cleaning.

Once it was all ready for use I started the decoration. It has a Wyrm (dragon) winding round the length with a runic inscription reading "Hail the Gods and the Goddesses also. Hail the Earth who gives to all mankind."

hornsml.jpg

hornsml1.jpg

In frith
Grim

Reactions: 1 person

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
It is if you don't want to come down with some rather nasty bacteria!. There are probably other less modern methods but I used what I already had in the cupboard that I knew would work.

While heathenry is a reconstructionalist religion there's no point in avoiding the fact we live in the 21st century with the advantages that brings - like methods of ensuring your horn is clean :)

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
looks great, can any one do a tutorial on how to make one from the time it is ready to hollow out and on through to the ready to drink from.

if this is already available please direct me there and accept my appologizies.

dean

M

Millbilly

Looks lovely mate :You_Rock_

Mine was a gift from me mum :D

Have you thought of making a leather belt hanger, or shoulder strap?

Si

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
I'm no expert longshot but when I get my next one I'll write it up. I don't get them fresh though, boiling a stinking mess from the inside is more than my OH would allow lol. It's easier to get them pre-cored.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE