Drilling problem in nordic knifemaking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
I started one of my very first attempts on nordic knifemaking. I selected a beech piece of wood and i tried to drill the hole for the tang using a 4mm drill bit on a drill press. After less than half an inch the drill bit was broken. So it depends by the wood or I'm making mistakes in the attempt to create the tang hole? Any other technique for drilling the hole?

Thanks for your valuable advice

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
You should drill through it a bit slower, I think that will decrease the chances of it braking significantly. You could also avoid the use of long blocks that you have to drill through, by getting a spacer or two in the middle:)

N

Nomad

Drill slowly. Use a sharp drill. If it feels better, drill 2-3mm at a time, then lift the drill out of the hole to clear the debris, then down again for another 2-3mm. Use a sharp drill. A decent drill bit will go through annealed steel, including stainless (very tough), so a bit of wood should be okay. Use a sharp drill.

By sharp, I mean good quality and brand new.

EDIT: Spin it up quite fast, but make sure the wood doesn't burn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Did your workpiece move causing the drill to snap ? or did it just disintegrate in the hole ? As has already been said use a sharp quality drill, and move the drill in and out of the hole to clear the drill flutes from wood as this will aid cutting & reduce heat.

Doesnt sound like you are doing anything wrong though.

Stoker37

Aug 7, 2005
Rotherham
Drill bits generally break when the workpiece moves. Make sure the block is securely held to the table of the drill press. Take your time with the drilling don't try and force the bit through. Make sure you are using a good quality bit and keep flushing the hole out as you go. You should be able to drill the full length of a standard 4mm bit without any problems in the majority of timber. Some of the tropical hardwoods will cause greater difficulties though. Keep trying and you will get there!

N

Nomad

Agreed on clamping the piece down - most drill bits have very limited scope for flex once they're spinning (and fancy ones like carbide don't like it at all). Another cause of breakage is the bit not spinning fast enough while trying to drill down into the material too quickly. It's all about the rate of removal of the material, for a given strength of material versus the strength of the cutter - try to gouge out too much in one spin, and the cutter snaps.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Try clamping the wood down, make sure the drill bit is for wood not steel, use the drill at a higher speed, drill 2-3mm at a time releasing the drill so to clear the hole being made so not to bind the drill bit, also may be worth looking at the movement of the drill chuck, it may be moving a bit too much and causing the bit to snap,

Hope this helps :)

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
thanks to all. Extermely helpful. I made a lot of mistakes. I started with a brand new drill bit for wood, 4mm.
I didn't clamp the wood (first mistake)
I drill too fast (second mistake)
I didn't move the drill bit up and down and I drill it just it would be a pneumatic drill (third mistake)
The extraction was too slow and only when there was a worring line of smoke (yes mistake numebr four)

I've never considered the chance of spacers in reducing the risk of break, Brilliant advice.
There is obviously still much to do but this was the first attempt and it will not be the last.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE