drill bits any ideas ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
I just recently bought a very old (1940 ish) twist action awl drill, the sort with a twisted metal shaft and a hand piece that you work up and down to rotate the drill bit clockwise and anti-clockwise.
The drill bits seem a bit unusual they are square shanked and taper to a sort of chisel point, see pics below.
I would very much like to know if anyone has any idea where I might buy some of these drill bits and also what would be the correct profile to sharpen them to.
2008_04210019.jpg

2008_04210020.jpg

2008_04210021.jpg

Thanks for looking any any help advice would be appreciated.:)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
They're modelling drills for the awl drill (or archimedes drill as my grandfather called it) They're designed for light work mainly in wood though you can use them in very thin light metal as well. Jewellers use this style of drill still as well I believe.

As for sharpening, if I remember rightly, my grandfather used to just make sure it had a sharp point without it being excessively pointed, no more than about what they already are now. You can use ordinary micro drills in it but if you want more bits like that try a local modelling shop near you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE