Dried meats shelf life

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I'm thinking that tomorrow I am going to dehydrate some lean Beef and Chicken in small chunks. I will be storing at room temperature in Kilner jars.

Does anyone have first hand experience of how long this will keep? Lots of conflicting views on Tinternet.

If poor shelf life, will adding an Oxygen absorber extend this by much?

Steve

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If storing in an airtight jar, get it really dry or you will get mould through condensation. Cool it before jarring it and try to keep it as cool as possible. I keep mine in an unheated brick outbuilding. I have kept mine for six months and it was fine - I'm sure longer is possible. A lot of it is down to how dry you get it. I've not done chicken, but very lean beef and venison are fine.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Ah thanks, six months is enough. I will get the meat very dry. Did you cook your meat first? I think Beef is ok to dry raw but the Chicken dehydrating vids I have seen show it being cooked first.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I don't think you can eat raw chicken.
do you guys flavour your biltong or just dry it plain? I believe rubbing salt into it when freshly cut helps it dry out.

That does look good Red. I love it when it's really dry and takes ages to chew through it!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE