Dressing for winter in the boreal forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Looking at the Jerven bag, isn't it very much like the old "Ranger Rick" conversion for the US Army Poncho + Liner? Could be a cheaper option and easy to do yourself at home.:)
Cheers,
Ted W

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Looks like Jerven have released their replacement for the Multimate: the Jervenbag Exclusive. See https://jerven-com.secure.flexiweb.no/page/7357/. I haven't found any details (price, ordering, etc.) of the removeable liner yet.

I just checked it out; NOK 1900 for the bag, and then some more for the liner... That is rather on the pricy side, for what is basically an improved poncho, even of it is good.

Just found the rest of the prices; NOK 1190 and 1290 for the different liners, or both as a package for NOK 2000 (these prices are apparently inclusive of Norwegian sales tax). It would have to be quite good for that kind of money, at least in my book.

Last edited:

LM J

Nomad
Nov 26, 2008
Cumbria
I'm wandering if this new model still has a reflective interior and/or pole sleeves (to make a half-pipe shelter).

NOK 3090 = £340 !

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
I just checked it out; NOK 1900 for the bag, and then some more for the liner... That is rather on the pricy side, for what is basically an improved poncho, even of it is good.

Just found the rest of the prices; NOK 1190 and 1290 for the different liners, or both as a package for NOK 2000 (these prices are apparently inclusive of Norwegian sales tax). It would have to be quite good for that kind of money, at least in my book.

Group buy anyone?

bearbait

I'm wandering if this new model still has a reflective interior and/or pole sleeves (to make a half-pipe shelter).

Here's a reply from Jerven to my email (Is the new Jervenbag Exclusive available in olive green as well as the mountain camo? If not, are there plans to make it available in olive green and in also forest camo? If so, do you have a date in mind for the release? Does the new Jervenbag Exclusive model have a reflective aluminium-type interior and pole sleeves like the old Multimate had?):

Exclusive comes in mountain camouflage only, the oliven-pictures is of the
quilted lining.

Yes. There is aluminium-coated inside.

No. There is no pole sleeves like Multimate had...This is a Jervenbag only -
with a lot of possibilities for connecting.

I forgot to ask if the new Exclusive bag still has eyelets as I believe the regular bags have.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!

NOK 3090 = £340 !
It'll have the 'reflective' inner - all Jerven's bags use the same outer material which has an aluminised coating on the inside. It won't have the pole sleeves though (I asked).

It's basicaly the Thermo hunter, but with a removeable / changeable lining. I'm told the new lining will be attached with zips, whereas the multimate's lining was attached with velcro (and a pain to line up all the way round ;) )

EDIT: overtaken on the straight LOL

Recon369

Nov 26, 2011
Western Canada
Hello from Canada, I have found this to be a wonderful informative forum.
I thought I would add my 2 cents to this thread, I have wore these Mitts & Mukluks while in the service and since and found them to be the best. We always carried an extra set of insoles (1 mesh, 1 thin wool, & 1 thick wool) & duffle socks (liners) with us. Plastic bags work fine but vapour barrier socks are a much better solution when things turn wet.
For those interested here is where they can be found.
Army Mukluks & Insoles - Acton Canada (Manufaturer) - http://www.actoncanada.ca/en/products/winter
Army Arctic Mitts & Duffle Socks - Raber Glove Mfg. Co Ltd - http://www.raberglove.com/products.html (click on military issue)
Vapour Barrier Socks - Integral Designs - http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=672
These are the companies that make the products for our Army. This is just info, I have no association with any of these companies. Also a Canadian Army Parka (with removable liners) from the 1970s is a much prized item here. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Canada.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have been trying to locate a pair of the cad pat mukluks in the uk preferably has anybody got any links?

Recon369

Nov 26, 2011
Western Canada
This Is what we were issued:
Layer 1
Wool Undershirt & Drawers & boot socks (some of us with wool itch issues used private purchase Cotton Thermals)
Layer 2
Wool Shirt & trousers & Wool socks heavy
Layer 3a
Light weight combats (Trousers & shirt or UK wolly pully) or
Layer 3b
Combat Jacket with liner & Trousers HW
Layer 4
Combat Parka & Nylon windpants
Layer 5
Winter whites
previously mentioned Arctic mitts & Mukluks with extra insoles & liners for both (change once a day on the march)
ACC
Large knit wool Scarf, Combat cap, Knit cap (watch cap style), Knit cap full face, Arctic face mask, Gloves & liners general service, cotton anti contact gloves, Combat Boots & Rubber overshoes, & Extra socks
This system kept us toasty warm from early winter to the high arctic (-50 or lower)

Recon369

Nov 26, 2011
Western Canada
Socks, insoles & liners were dried by body heat on the march. Socks & insoles went in the pockets of the mid layer & liners were attached to each end of a piece of para cord & hung around the neck under the parka.

Recon369

Nov 26, 2011
Western Canada
Gill your PM is full
The link I gave for Acton Canada (Chimo @ bottom of the page) has brand new ones Complete 260 CND Dollars or you could try a search (Canadian Mukluk or Canadian Army Mukluk) for surplus I have seen prices as low as 30 dollars, for size I used to wear a size 8 1/2 combat boot & a size 10 Mukluk I'm not sure what Canadian size convert to British size but I'm sure you can find out. These are eccellant boots I would not hesitate to pay the $260 then look for about 4 - 6 sets of extra liners from surplus (Canadian Army just released large stocks of these) As they also work in other types of Pac-boots.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE