Dremel type tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ASH

Feb 12, 2008
Gloucestershire
I have noticed on this site various refference to the dremel and other similar tools and it might be a good idea for some of the experienced users of such tools to give a review / advice for buying/ using such tools.

I know hand tools are a bit more inkeeping with the spirit of bushcraft but from a general crafting point of view a pieceof kit like a dremel would make life easier for us less skilled.

My cheap drill has packed up and I splashed out on a Dremel 300, it is on offer at the moment in B&Q for £52 with Clamp system, flexible end, tool box and some accessories.

I am not connected to Dremel in any way or B&Q for that matter. I would be interested in what others have to say on this subject.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
In my experience they take more skill than any other hand tool. They are difficult to control and make a mess very quickly when they get out of control. They tend to skate across the work and make irregular dips.

That said, they can be very useful for certain things. I'm always extra careful with the little beast. I clamp whatever I'm working on in a vise attached to a sturdy bench and use both hands to guide the Dremal. Go slow and use a light touch.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
quote: Weaver;
In my experience they take more skill than any other hand tool. They are difficult to control and make a mess very quickly when they get out of control. They tend to skate across the work and make irregular dips.

That said, they can be very useful for certain things. I'm always extra careful with the little beast. I clamp whatever I'm working on in a vise attached to a sturdy bench and use both hands to guide the Dremal. Go slow and use a light touch.

Ditto all of that, for drilling a load of small holes they're ok and in the past I have occasionally used one to clean out deeper bits on carvings. A number of people on here use them for making the holes for sewing their leatherwork, I much prefer to use a proper awl for this job myself.

As Weaver states; they do indeed take a lot of skill to use.

You're definitely better off with a variable speed model,I don't know whether the one you mention has that.

Good luck with it anyway and don't forget to let us have a look at what you produce.

best wishes
R.B.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I use a dremel for many different jobs. I have one Dremel (the battery one with the 'ION' type battery). I also have an extension for it so I can fit tools to the end of the flexi shaft and use it like a lightweight pen. The drill goes in my pocket and it makes it completely portable. I use it for fine drilling jobs (like going through five layers of leather) using a drill bit the same diameter as the needle I'm using for stitching. I use it for grinding and polishing as well.

I have two other Dremel type drills, both Performance Power brand, from B&Q. One sits on it's own stand and also has a flexi shaft. The other is more chunky and takes 1/4" router bits so I can do fine routering work.

What I have found though is the accessories and spare bits and pieces work pretty well with all three tools, but finding spare collets for the Performance Power ones is nigh impossible. Dremel collets don't fit the others.

So, for maximum flexibility, I'd recommend a genuine Dremel drill. You'll be able to use any tool made for mini drills with the appropriate collet and accessories are commonly available.

I also have a power carving flexi shaft for the Dremel so I can do wood carving with it. It doesn't fit on the others. Most second party accessories are made to fit Dremel (and sometimes the Bosch version) so check what you want to do with the tool before buying a cheaper one.

Hope this helps,

Eric

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I have one of the Dremel Aldi clones. So far i've been happy with it but haven't used it for any bushcraft jobs yet.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I've had a B&Q Dremel clone for many years now and, to be honest, i find it very easy to use. Saying that though, i am an engineer! Seriously, i use mine predominantly for shaping knife scales and sanding the edges of sheaths for the knives. I find that an adjustable speed is essential. If your not too confident and are scared of taking off too much material, i'd opt for a less coarse sanding drum and a lower speed. I find it pretty straight forward to sculpt wood, so much so i used it for the Kuksa i made last year, after i had made the shape with an axe, knife and crook knife.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Ash,

That's a great tool, the Model 300, mine is only a two speed- much older version.

See if you can get the #4486 Dremel Chuck

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachm...tachment-accessory-group.htm?H=188575&G=66442

It makes changing bits much easier and you can use a greater variety of sizes.

I like to stay with the original Dremel Brand, I have worn out a couple others that were not their brand. Never had any problems with Dremel. When you really need it there's nothing to take its place.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I have a dremel, the one with the LCD readout. Does 5,000 to 33,000 rpm.

Was the last rotary tool of any kind in B&Q. The packaging was damaged, and when got home found few of the accessories missing, went back and was allowed to pick the replacements, which I'm pretty sure are better quality, straight off the shelf.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE