Draw knife follow up - Nic Westermann

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hi all

A while ago I mentioned that I was looking for a drawknife, then I had a chat with Nic westermann and he was planning to start making drawknives.

I put together all the ideas that I had picked up about drawknives from research and testing and passed them on to Nic. Nic also had some ideas and this is the result of his blacksmithing.

Supersharp, very easy to control bevel up or down, love it.

p1384685312.jpg

p1384685320.jpg

p1384685328.jpg

p1384685518.jpg

p1384685566.jpg

p1384685428.jpg

Last edited:

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
A few thoughts after using the DK a bit more...

I like the clearance either side of the blade, between cutting edge and tang,

The more I use the DK the more that I think that a 4" cutting edge version would be fantastic for small work like larger spoons, scoops, ladles etc

A couple of people have noticed and like the angled in edges of the blade, this is a great little feature. The more that I use the DK the more I appreciate the ability to slide my hands forward and put my thumbs into the gap between the cutting edge and the tang, I had not noticed how often that I do this. In the past I have nicked my thumbs on, borrowed, DKs where the cutting edge turns out towards the tangs.

The angle of the tangs to the bevel is just right.

Again the more I use the DK the more the I like the ability to use very fine control.

Agreed, it is sitting on my desk and the mirror finish in the bevel against the dark, blacksmithed, look is wonderful. Visually is shouts craftsmanship.

Last edited:

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I take it you prefer straight back handles then? i find i get on better with slightly angled handles on a smaller draw knife, with straight from around 12" upwards

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hiya

I have no problem with the straight back handles at this size, I have used a few DKs with 6" blades and straight back handle OK.
But I have not tried smaller so you may be right about turning the handles out on a 4" cutting edge.... I have just tried a cardboard version and turned out would be best for a very small blade.

In case I have not mentioned it I find this DK easy to use with bevel up and down, which for me is unusual

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The nicest draw knife I've ever used (I sometimes work on very old houses and have to clean off old oak beams) was a really old folding version, it had so many grips on the part where you set the handle angle that I much have been able to choose about every ten degrees to get the handles just nice.

I got myself a A J Wilkinsons folding drawknife which although its not quite as adjustable is still very nice and the handles protect the blade when its in my toolbox,
IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

Its not often I use one but when I do there's nothing else in my van that does the job as well.
Plus its a nice tool to use.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
That looks like a lovely piece of kit :cool:

As far as I can tell, there's ones with various names on them that look the same but all with the same patent date of July 16 1895, seems that A J Wilkinsons of Boston Massachusetts made them then sold them onto other suppliers.

I have another Drawknife that is made from an old file, I use that one for beams where there's a good chance of hitting old rusted out nails. as I don't mind beating the edge up as much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE