Down

JRjr

Nov 12, 2012
Dundee
Anyone know a decent, cheap source of down? I am thinking of making a sleeping bag/blanket but am having a hard time finding any even a search of all the charity shops has come up empty :(

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Pillows are a good source (not the best quality though), as are second hand down bags from eBay. Good luck with the project!

JRjr

Nov 12, 2012
Dundee
Thanks for all the suggestions and links :)
I can't believe I never thought about ebay lol I have seen a couple of potential donors/blankets already.
I also had never thought of cattails have just done a little reading on them and they are fascinating :) might just have to see if I can find some nearby
Any idea about how long they last, would I be able to get a few trips out of them then have to replace?
That pillow looks to be not bad but how much does the box weigh? I might grab one after Christmas if I don't find something else in the meantime :D

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Thanks for all the suggestions and links :)
I can't believe I never thought about ebay lol I have seen a couple of potential donors/blankets already.
I also had never thought of cattails have just done a little reading on them and they are fascinating :) might just have to see if I can find some nearby
Any idea about how long they last, would I be able to get a few trips out of them then have to replace?
That pillow looks to be not bad but how much does the box weigh? I might grab one after Christmas if I don't find something else in the meantime :D
I was the one that posted about the pillow but i posted accidently on my bros account. Im not sure how much the box weighs. I really want to give it a go. The this is you can get 250g of down from the german place for not much more. But im not sure how much down you get in the pillow. :(
I might give it a punt but havent got a huge amount of money to play with atm. :(

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Below is copied and pasted from a previous thread.....

I've been looking for down insulation suppliers, wanting to make an UQ and a top quilt - got the shell material and have made a start, but the expensive bit, the down will require abit of searching. So far I've found -

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/I...a8822071de3358 in Germany with 100g 860+ down @ 27.90 euro = £22.17 depends on how much shipping is though [I've not looked at shipping yet]

The link previously [from ukhammocks] = 100g 850+ down @ £25 plus shipping & handling @ £4

or:

http://thru-hiker.com/materials/insulation.php from US = 3oz 900+ [the american measurement of loft I presume] $29.95 = 85g £18.53 plus shipping, VAT and customs charges [could be expensive as shipping from outside EU]

I did think about buying pillows duvet etc but upon closer searching most are filled with 600+ down or if have high loft down are REALLY expensive for the amount of down you get. Also duvets and pillows have a higher feather to down ratio.

SO anyone else know of suppliers of Down preferably EU based??

Since looking around there was a company [I think it was called homescapes] which makes duvet and pillows, one of their pillows apparently has 90% goose down to 10% feathers, weighs approx 1kg, with the down fill power of 420 cm³/g - I did convert this to a weight per oz but can't remember where I left the scrap of paper with the outcome [If I remember correctly it was around 700]. So this so far to me seems the best place.​

JRjr

Nov 12, 2012
Dundee
Thanks for that I tried searching the forum but couldn't find any results.
I decided to try a local upholsterers today and the guy told me there are very few suppliers in the country after giving me a funny look, he then asked what it was for (another funny look when I told him) but he did say if I came back on Wednesday he was re-stuffing pillows for a customer and if she didn't want the feathers back I was welcome to have them :D
They might not be exactly what I need but the price is right and it is worth a try :0)

JRjr

Nov 12, 2012
Dundee
More charity shopping today in a different town and the first shop had a XL down bodywarmer for a tenner :D
Now do I take it apart and use the down or keep it and wear it ...... hmm decisions, decisions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE