Down bag for Scandi winter use, suggestions please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
What kind of camping do you do? A super warm bag, for a special trip north, might be tempting, but will you really be able to make the most from it? Also, what have you got to sleep on top of? I haven't been really really cold (-15 to -20C only), but even at that level good under insulation was really important. On top I used a Marmot Helium bag and a Sierra Sniveller quilt in combination. I can use either one by themselves in warmer weather (by which I mean, in a hammock, down to freezing).

I think that you may be optimistic about what you can get and budget. Just looked on ebay at used down bags, and even used, the good ones, and or the ones for deep cold, are more than your stated budget (looking at new bags).
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=down sleeping bag&_dcat=87100&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Not much help I know.
Got the kit Chris thanks, done a few winter arctic camping trips, I use a tarp or build a shelter, so have the keeping warm part generally, covered. I think, reading the helpful replies, that I just have to accept that £200 will probably not get me a decent down bag. Thanks again, as I said, time to sell another knife!!

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
There are places you can rent kit. Might be worth finding out then you can try before you buy and possibly make an expensive mistake. I'll try and find out for you and let you know. I went to sweden in January a couple of years ago and rented some stuff which was a lot cheaper as it was a one off trip. I can't remember offhand the firm I used .
Thanks Wg, pretty sure I have a pal I could borrow one from if it came to it.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Got the kit Chris thanks, done a few winter arctic camping trips, I use a tarp or build a shelter, so have the keeping warm part generally, covered. I think, reading the helpful replies, that I just have to accept that £200 will probably not get me a decent down bag. Thanks again, as I said, time to sell another knife!!

£200 is probably a bit low, but dont forget Ebay. This ME bag is a good deal for something that should get down to minus 18, and a good wash (£40?) will let it loft. ME reckon a good nights sleep at minus 25. Always worth looking to see whats available. And there is the Rab outlet...

And of course Alpkit can do good stuff at good prices - this one is probably good at minus 20, and although its £289 on deal, it might be worth going along to their HQ and seeing what they have in the way of seconds and returns.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
£200 is probably a bit low, but dont forget Ebay. This ME bag is a good deal for something that should get down to minus 18, and a good wash (£40?) will let it loft. ME reckon a good nights sleep at minus 25. Always worth looking to see whats available. And there is the Rab outlet...

And of course Alpkit can do good stuff at good prices - this one is probably good at minus 20, and although its £289 on deal, it might be worth going along to their HQ and seeing what they have in the way of seconds and returns.
Well thanks for that OB, do like the look of that ME bag.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Noticed this one on deal from Trekkit (good service and decent prices - got my Lightline jacket from them a couple of year ago). Rab Ascent 1100 (so decent entry down bag), but still only a little more than your £200 budget at £239 new. A little bit heavier than the ME bag, but thats because it has more down with slightly less fill power, and is officially warmer (minus 25 rated, although shop reviews think its good down to minus 20). So two bags much the same spec, one a bit lighter, one new, one 2nd hand ish.
There seems to be some deals on bags around still for summer clearance from the normal websites, so worth having a look.

Reactions: Chris the Cat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE