double woven plaited birchbark shoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tprindle00

Jan 31, 2006
northeast, US
www.nativetech.org
I've been trying my hand at making birchbark shoes in the Finnish / Scandanavian style... I'd seen photos of them but hadn't an idea how they were made. After a few paper pattern attempts, this is what I came up with in birchbark strips. If I'd started with six weavers instead of four across, I would have had a better developed toe... each shoe took about 50 feet of birch bark strips. This was a facinating project. Tara
birchbarkshoes.jpg

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
tprindle00 said:
I've been trying my hand at making birchbark shoes in the Finnish / Scandanavian style... ...
If I'd started with six weavers instead of four across, I would have had a better developed toe.

They look great. Birch slippers like these, known as "lapti" were also worn in Russia (or at least, used to be worn...)

More strips, each a little narrower than yours, would no doubt have given a more rounded toe.
121105_8_3.jpg

I think that they would be worn over a thick felt boot.
0411lapti4.jpg

K.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
tprindle00 said:
I've been trying my hand at making birchbark shoes in the Finnish / Scandanavian style... I'd seen photos of them but hadn't an idea how they were made. After a few paper pattern attempts, this is what I came up with in birchbark strips. If I'd started with six weavers instead of four across, I would have had a better developed toe... each shoe took about 50 feet of birch bark strips. This was a facinating project. Tara
birchbarkshoes.jpg

Tara:

When I was a kid, these were known as sauna shoes. Any older respectable Finn had several pairs in the dressing room of their sauna. Good for running out to roll in the snow or jump through the ice.

Very respectable effort. If I recall correctly, the toes pointed up a bit more - like a Sami boot.

PG

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice work Tara, :) and it's good to see you here. Welcome to bcuk.

Anyone got any provenance for how long this type of shoe has been made? I'm thinking it'd be a good 'hands on' for the Bronze age activity I'm developing.

Pierre Girard, were the Finnish sauna shoes fitted like full shoes or more like backless slippers?
I had a little pair of 'elf shoes' made of birchbark, that had been sent to me by my great aunt in Canada, when I was a child; but they were made from one piece of bark, not woven. I called them elf shoes because they had curved pointed tips. They weren't very comfortable as I recall, the oversewn top edges scraped. These woven ones look more forgiving.

Torusj is there any chance that the people you know who are making them would be prepared to sell a finished pair as an example? Any idea of how much?
I've made grass and rush ones before but I'd never have thought of using birchbark woven like this.

Excellent thread :D So many things to do :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Toddy said:
Nice work Tara, :) and it's good to see you here. Welcome to bcuk.

Pierre Girard, were the Finnish sauna shoes fitted like full shoes or more like backless slippers?
I had a little pair of 'elf shoes' made of birchbark, that had been sent to me by my great aunt in Canada, when I was a child; but they were made from one piece of bark, not woven. I called them elf shoes because they had curved pointed tips. They weren't very comfortable as I recall, the oversewn top edges scraped. These woven ones look more forgiving.

Cheers,
Toddy

No idea on how long people have been making them.

The sauna shoes were not slippers. They were very similar to the pair Tara made, though with pointy toes.

I had a pair, made by the mother of one of my friends when I was in first grade. They've disappeared ages ago. The birchbark strips were somewhat narrower than Tara's, I believe. Not to take anything away from Tara's excellent work. I've made knife sheaths that way - and it gets very confusing. I wouldn't dare to attempt shoes.

For some reason, Ojibwe never wove birchbark, that I've been able to find out. Someone in our family wove the most incredible bark mat, but it was from the inner bark of cedar, not birch. I've also seen woven rice bags, but again, the bark was cedar.

My friend's mother (Mrs. Heikkila - don't know if I ever knew her first name), was from Finland. She was beautiful and very fit. She had beautiful white blond hair and looked 20 years younger than she was. She wore her hair up in braids on top of her head, but in the morning, it would be down and it was long enough for her to sit on.

Going to their place was like taking a step back in time. Their home was built of white cedar logs, hewn and dove-tailed. She cooked on a wood range. Breakfast was always mush. You could pour a pound of sugar into that stuff and never taste it. One time, supper was gulla moi-ica. I've never been too fond of fish eyeballs in my soup, but it tasted good. The kids all slept in the loft. They had ten kids, four boys and six girls from first grade to 12th grade. There was usually a cousin or two staying over, as well. I wish I could take a trip back in time to get a look at all the home-made items in their household. I do remember the milk pitcher was carved out of aspen, and the father's rocking chair was put together out of diamond willow (and kids were not allowed to sit in it).

They farmed with horses and put up their hay loose. They milked the cows by hand, and made their own butter and cheese.

They had a large sauna. When my mother heard we would be taking a sauna, on my first visit, she packed a pair of swim trunks for me. My friend told me I wouldn't need them. We got in the sauna and the whole family came in after, including my friend's six sisters, all naked as a jay. The girls were not shy, and made comments about my endowments in Finn. I understood enough Finn to blush, and they had a great time teasing me then. I never mentioned this to my mother. Somehow, I didn't think she'd understand. Everyone had sauna shoes, and by my second visit, Mrs. H had woven me a pair.

PG

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Toddy said:
Nice work Tara, :)
Torusj is there any chance that the people you know who are making them would be prepared to sell a finished pair as an example? Any idea of how much?

I think that should be no problem. I'll try to look into it and ask what price they want for it.

PS! Please remind me by PM after the weekend, then I can check it out right away.

Torjus Gaaren

tprindle00

Jan 31, 2006
northeast, US
www.nativetech.org
The shoes seem like they're incredibly comfortable -- though you might think the birch bark to be stiff or rough, it's actually quite soft as you peel it down to the softer interior layers of bark. The dark and white outer layers are peeled off. Unfortunately I wear size 11, and these couldnt be made larger than a size 8.

I now know that the larger the shoe you want to make the more weavers you want to start with. *Always start with an even number (four across, or six across). I was using some very old bark scraps and not new fresh strips, so I'm pleased I was able to use bark that was just taking up room -- I had to continually splice in new strips, as most of mine were about a foot to three feet in length.

I saw examples of the Russian lapti as well, and it's not a trick of the eye, they are two completely different weaving techniques, the Finnish resulting in a very pointed toe, and the weavers go perpendicularly over the top of the 'vamp'. In the Russian style, there is a blunt toe and the weavers go diagonally over the top of the 'vamp'. I liked the upturned pointed look of the Finnish style and decided to try to figure those out.

From what I read, even though the shoes are double-woven (two layers), they traditionally only lasted about two weeks of general wearing before they wore out and new ones had to be made. These wont see the street or the sauna but will go on my shelf with my other 'first attempts'.

Here's a link to a page that has directions for a plain-weave (one layer) plaited box from bulrush.

http://www.spindizzy.net/dccg/

The difference in plain weave and double weave, is when you get to the top of your work, you turn your weavers over on the diagonal and weave them back into the work following the diagonal path of the first weaver.

Thanks for your stories on the shoes, Pierre! I was also thinking that I've seen so much plaited cedar work with northwestern tribes, and even later ash splint work with northeastern tribes, but never have seen any woven checker-board style of birchbark in North America... and wondered why not?

Tara

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
tprindle00 said:
Thanks for your stories on the shoes, Pierre! I was also thinking that I've seen so much plaited cedar work with northwestern tribes, and even later ash splint work with northeastern tribes, but never have seen any woven checker-board style of birchbark in North America... and wondered why not?

Tara

I've wondered the same. All I can come up with is - they had access to large birch and it allowed them to make all they needed (makoks, canoes, wigiwam rolls) from large pieces. Other types of bark (cedar, basswood) filled the gap for weaving, etc.

Great job on the woven shoes. :You_Rock_

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE