Double bit axe

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Too big daft and dangerous. I had one, scary things. The bits are too wide and too pointy at the tips.

Get a 2 1/2lb cruiser axe fro the states. Best double bits about. :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I still have a rusty old Plumb DB I still have to restore. Everybody should have a DB at least once.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Oh they are nice axes, don't get me wrong. :)

I was never very confident with it, too used to poll axes. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh they are nice axes, don't get me wrong. :)

I was never very confident with it, too used to poll axes. :)

They are a very sharp nasty choppy thing without doubt. The Double bit does take some getting used to - but I like the balance in use, the sweeping curve lets it bite deep and the straight helve works well.

Its all taste though - I think the GB "splitting axes" are a very poor compromise tool - not a maul, not a sledge, not an axe. Others like them.

When it comes to "pretty" axes, they sit indoors nowadays, I just process too much wood to care. The Double bit does work for me though

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
So it should what they cost :) Russ got mine when i sold it on here. It wouldn't get used as i had the GB american felling axe too, which i was much more comfortable with. I think it was the length of the handle, and i was used to the curved affairs. Where i do bits of felling, it tends to be quite tree heavy and crowded. Too many too close together. The straight handle didn't have room to do its thing, the others can swing in a tighter arc, so are more suitable.

Saying that, i'm gonna put a handle on that Valley forge DB and see how that does. Also having a mooch on Ebay US for a 2.5lb double bit cruiser and db Hatchet.

I only use a maul for splitting larger stuff. Got a nice one from Bahco :)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
ooooooh aye!!

thats a beautifully themed set of tools there Red,

i do hope theyre not in a drawer somewhere,..

i think Daves is ever so slightly stripier though,....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE