doomsdayers/preppers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Modern vehicles, including campervans, of the last 20 years vintage, would be rendered useless by an EMP blast. This doesn't have to come from an atomic device, sun activity can cause the same, and is thought to have done in the past.

So it then becomes a static tin hut with all your gear in it that a determined 8 year old with a can opener can get into. :(

True enough but a nuclear exchange isn't the only scenario. Economic collapse has also been mentioned. In that scenario I think lessons could be learned from how people survived the Great Depression; many traveled following the work (such as it was) Granted that was a generation of co-operative people who mostly respected one and other.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
True enough but a nuclear exchange isn't the only scenario. Economic collapse has also been mentioned. In that scenario I think lessons could be learned from how people survived the Great Depression; many traveled following the work (such as it was) Granted that was a generation of co-operative people who mostly respected one and other.

I agree, and I never noted the nuclear exchange point in isolation, hence why I mentioned the climate issue etc. Although I have my own view on supposed climate change, I firmly believe that there have been solar spots in the past which have been bad enough to create havoc in the modern, computer and electrically driven world as we know it today. I used to have a work colleage whose degree was geology and he had some fascinating theories on the subject.

With regards the economic depression of the 1920's America, I agree, those were kinder times in that God fearing people would always try and respect and share, where possible, with others. However, I read an excellent book many years ago, assembled from the voices of those who lived through it, and a pervasive theme was that even then there was resentment and violence, sometimes in no small measure, to these economic migrants (seen as modern day 'carpetbaggers') who found themselves in areas of work or excess food.

Sadly, the city of London in the blitz of WW2 is another example of challenging times leading to the worst in human nature coming to the fore. Although glorified in popular myth of the 'plucky Londoner', there is a lot of documented and published evidence that points to the very worst of the minority running amok and exploiting the ordinary man and woman. Huge rise in crimes such as looting, sex crime etc. It was so bad, Fairbairn, he of Sykes-Fairbairn fame, had to write a book under sponsorship of the war office for women on how to protect themselves from unwanted attention. I still have a copy on my bookshelf as a historical keepsake.

So, coupling the above with what I have seen with my own eyes some years ago when involed in a disaster relief effort, and allied to the words of a friend who got involved on the ground in Haiti immediately after that event, then mixed with the current selfish and almost moral free society in which we live, I have very low expectations of my fellow human should the worst, in any form, ever happen.

Fair to say I'd not put my trust in a camper van. Within a week, it'd have the wheels and the fuel stolen from it's immobile shell at the very least. :(

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...With regards the economic depression of the 1920's America, I agree, those were kinder times in that God fearing people would always try and respect and share, where possible, with others. However, I read an excellent book many years ago, assembled from the voices of those who lived through it, and a pervasive theme was that even then there was resentment and violence, sometimes in no small measure, to these economic migrants (seen as modern day 'carpetbaggers') who found themselves in areas of work or excess food...(

Oh that era was by no means a peaceful one. The 1020s and 1030s was also the age of the bank notorious robbers and gangsters (John Dillinger, Pretty Boy Floyd, Bonnie & Clyde, Al Capone, etc.) and the accompanying gang wars. Still when you compare the average Joe Citizen from then to today, well, I think you get the idea that today's mentality is a bit different.

I am pleasantly surprised on a regular basis though when even now someone proves me wrong.

Bushy Crafter

Sep 11, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
The idea of the campervan is that the country I currently live in is very rural up north and it should be relatively easy to find a secluded spot where hardly anyone will wander by.

The whole campervan idea was just an initial thought after seeing the show, as I really cannot see any benefits of storing years worth of supplies in something that can be run down by a bulldozer and a handful of armed men in a matter of minutes. All of these people seem to have their minds set on a certain scenario and would probably be taken completely off guard if the event does not play out according to that particular scenario.

I've just taken a look at one of those survivalist websites and again I am astonished at how important people deem guns to be. Every single thread in their forums seem to end up in talk about guns.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
It doesn't need a major disaster to cause problems in the modern world. A few weeks ago, my electricity meter failed on Friday night, leaving us without light, heating or hot water until Monday morning.

No panic, we just unpacked the oil lamps, headtorches and other useful bits from the camping stores, and carried on regardless.

We produced hot meals, got the kids bathed for school, and nothing much changed in the weekend routine, despite having no power for TV, computer, etc. The kids had to read instead of watching TV or playing video games (an eleven year olds worst nightmare come true!).

Far too many people would consider this scenario to be a serious emergency, or even a disaster, local or not, but with the kit needed to sustain a small family for a weekend camping, we managed perfectly well.

Alan

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
When my third child was born we went through to the 'local' hospital [1hr drive away!] cause back then they didn't have enough staff at our 'real' local hospital to deal with births. Anyway, got there about 9ish [am] daughter born 3ish [am] after about 1/2 hr a midwife told me I no longer had a right to be there!

So I thought to myself, I'm not gonna drive 1hr home to have a couple of hrs kip then drive back in the morning again - I'll kip in the car. It was fortunate I have a couple of blankets and a sleeping bag in the car, ortherwise it could have got a bit nippy [this was a November]

So being prepared is no bad thing...

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
When my third child was born we went through to the 'local' hospital [1hr drive away!] cause back then they didn't have enough staff at our 'real' local hospital to deal with births. Anyway, got there about 9ish [am] daughter born 3ish [am] after about 1/2 hr a midwife told me I no longer had a right to be there!

So I thought to myself, I'm not gonna drive 1hr home to have a couple of hrs kip then drive back in the morning again - I'll kip in the car. It was fortunate I have a couple of blankets and a sleeping bag in the car, ortherwise it could have got a bit nippy [this was a November]

So being prepared is no bad thing...

Nothing wrong with being prepared, but just how far do you take it? There's a big difference to having a couple of blankets in the car, than selling your car, buying a 4wd pickup and stocking it with enough kit so you and your family could survive unaided for 7 days...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Far too many people would consider this scenario to be a serious emergency, or even a disaster, local or not, but with the kit needed to sustain a small family for a weekend camping, we managed perfectly well.

Alan

The more stable and supportive the on tap 'care' social infrastructure is the more of a shock it is to have it removed for the general population. Live in an area where blackouts / dodgy water are common and you soon get used to the fact that this is 'normal' but normal is relative.

Good effort Alan , nice to see you stay calm and carried on!!

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Nothing wrong with being prepared, but just how far do you take it? There's a big difference to having a couple of blankets in the car, than selling your car, buying a 4wd pickup and stocking it with enough kit so you and your family could survive unaided for 7 days...

I think that depends on the fine line between preps and paranoia , again I think it comes down to where you currently live , where you have lived what you have experienced. If preps can be come part of an insurance plan without ruining one ( or your loved ones ) life , then I see nothing wrong , and it can feel empowering. IMO.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
I think that depends on the fine line between preps and paranoia , again I think it comes down to where you currently live , where you have lived what you have experienced. If preps can be come part of an insurance plan without ruining one ( or your loved ones ) life , then I see nothing wrong , and it can feel empowering. IMO.
Definitely. If all you're ever really going to need is a couple of blankets, then fine. If you were driving around in remote parts (unlikely in this country) then you may well need to be able to sustain yourself for several days

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well , I don't know if we are agreeing or not?! In Mousey case above she live in the NE of Scotland , not exactly the outback but still possible to come off a road and down an embankment in the wet or snow ( hidden from view ) and be in a right old pickle.! , a couple of blankets for me up there would be a true minimum , I'd definitely be packing alot more kit in the car.

The other thing is multiple situations , you may not have to survive off your car contents for a week down here in sunny devon , but if you come across a RTA blankets ,food ,warm drinks , hi-viz gear , road flare or strobes can and do make a difference.

I don't consider that paranoid , just well prepared.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Then I think we're agreeing :)

I thought I'd typed out more but clearly didn't. There's being prepared, then there's paranoid overkill.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hey Teedee, are we going for our hat trick on Haldon and Telegraph , this year ? I for one will be equipped this time !!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Then I think we're agreeing :)

I thought I'd typed out more but clearly didn't. There's being prepared, then there's paranoid overkill.

Good , I guess its like the old 'B' Movie difference between a Scientist and a Mad Scientist , most of it has to do with reasoning and reputation.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hey Teedee, are we going for our hat trick on Haldon and Telegraph , this year ? I for one will be equipped this time !!

Haha!- Natures a hard teacher isn't she , tends to give the punishment 1st and then the lesson!!
Yep , the snow and Ice caught alot of people out , bumper - to - bumper gridlock and abandoned cars everywhere.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I have a high IQ mine is 100-113 a G.P.or sorlisitor has a IQ of around 80-95 A Genius has an IQ of over 120

You need to start by learning to research facts.

Average IQ in the UK is a bit over 100.

I don't what the IQ of a GP is, but I test in the high 120s and I don't think I'm doctor material. My wife tests around 140 (maths brain), but that doesn't make her a genius.

Getting back on subject, if TEOTWAWKI kicks in, I'm heading for the Humber with my family, on a boat. We'll take over one of the cargo ships in the humber. Set up farming on deck, rig out the boat to make it very difficult to board. Use the fuel oil for essential heating - with care, it should last years (those ships have 1-2000 Tonnes of fuel on board).

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I'd like to watch this, but unfortunately don't have a TV nor do I have sky, only access to on demand services through my PC. Is this available to watch anywhere online?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Getting back on subject, if TEOTWAWKI kicks in, I'm heading for the Humber with my family, on a boat. We'll take over one of the cargo ships in the humber. Set up farming on deck, rig out the boat to make it very difficult to board. Use the fuel oil for essential heating - with care, it should last years (those ships have 1-2000 Tonnes of fuel on board).

I was talking about that very strategy the other day on a different forum!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
You need to start by learning to research facts.

Average IQ in the UK is a bit over 100.

I don't what the IQ of a GP is, but I test in the high 120s and I don't think I'm doctor material. My wife tests around 140 (maths brain), but that doesn't make her a genius.

http://www.iqtestexperts.com/iq-scores.php

IQ Is I Think a little like comparing memory chips in computers , without the proper program running or the persistence of the operator to make it work it really doesn't seem to mean much at all.

Anyway , thats my thoughts here are MENSA.

http://www.mensa.org/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE