doomsdayers/preppers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
But in an End-of-Days / TEOTWAWKI Your BMR would be increased due to increased physical movement ( calorie burn ) , No Gas Central Heating on all the time ( Calorie Burn ) and a general increase in all activitys will increase the BMR.

No more sedentry lifestyles available, I'm afraid.

Speak for yourself. Depends on the circumstances how much activity the H-G does. If you lived next to a salmon river with huge runs then for part of the year you need do hardly anything. But, of course the general level of activity would rise with wood getting etc. One might wonder though what the wives and children were for if one had to do the bulk of the hard work. Would society re-sort itself and maintain equality of work amongst the genders or would the age-old pattern assert itself. Must make it clear that I am not advocating such a situation just speculating.

What is certain that children could not be kept in the present infantile state many of them are today until they are 18 or older but they would have to be handling sharp things and fire from their early years as well as getting part of their own food. Things of course that Bushcraft encourages anyway which is one of its benefits.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
The whole shell food thing really is a bit of a loser long term imho, fresh fish and good crab yes, cockles et al would be more snack food as enjoyed in the old days. How much energy will you use gathering your 50 cockles?

If I had the money, I'd pay people to go on hunter gatherer trip for a month, under supervision and it would be interesting to see how much weight they lost in four weeks.

of course the other issue is that its all very well someone doing it under normal circumstances but whe you have a mass population trying to collect enough to survive alot of calories will be used up defending what you find....

any end of days senario will require a massive population reduction before any long term survival senario could play out - it will be that you'll need to protect youself and your love ones from first

good luck with that in the UK

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
of course the other issue is that its all very well someone doing it under normal circumstances but whe you have a mass population trying to collect enough to survive alot of calories will be used up defending what you find....

any end of days senario will require a massive population reduction before any long term survival senario could play out - it will be that you'll need to protect youself and your love ones from first

I've got 3 big german shepherds and a whole bunch of sharp sticks....

Bring em' on.

I suppose I could always eat the shepherds [although the wife would NOT forgive me - she'd probably eat ME first.]

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK

I'm not really seeing a contradiction here. A need to reduce population massively. A shortage of readily available protein.

Nope, I'm not seeing a problem here.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So they want 3pounds a day each, not a real problem especially when supplemented as I keep saying. I don't eat 3lbs of food a day now and I'm fat...

Correct (almost) that's about 3 pounds a day for ACTIVE MEN. I say almost because that's 3 pounds /day of MEAT; it would require more food from the other groups added to the meat to achieve 3000 calorie per day (basiclly this is the NATO requirement for rations.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
I suppose I could always eat the shepherds [although the wife would NOT forgive me - she'd probably eat ME first.]
Eat the wife?

Sheperds would be good in the end of days, thats why Will whatsit had one in that film the other year.

Santa Man, while thats what NATO says, how many guys have gone on ops, eaten the rat pack and still come home lighter than when they went? The body has been using what reserves it has.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've got 3 big german shepherds and a whole bunch of sharp sticks....

Bring em' on.

I'd love a couple of GSD's wonderful dogs but that almost sounds like a kebab recipe :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Eat the wife?

Sheperds would be good in the end of days, thats why Will whatsit had one in that film the other year.

Santa Man, while thats what NATO says, how many guys have gone on ops, eaten the rat pack and still come home lighter than when they went? The body has been using what reserves it has.

Actually yes the NATO standard is from 3000 calories to 3600 calories per day.

As ypu say about people coming home lighter than they went; I have to ask, "How many of them eat everything in the rat-pack?" Most troops I knew picked and chose what they ate. The total calorie count for rations is only valid if you eat absolutely everything in the pack (including condiments)

Last edited:

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I was watching Tales From the Green Valley last night, they reckoned that a 17th Century farm labourer ate about 4000 calories a day.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Huge quantities of calories, masses of water, no wonder the Earth's ecosystem is finding it difficult to sustain Western Man. We do not need such large amounts of food. As with water the body judges it to a niceity. That which we don't need we excrete or store. Anything over a basic need is wasted. Being overweight I am high maintenance but could lose several stone without harm or real difficulty. The point is that having got down to a lean and hungry weight the body then only has that tonnage to maintain and learns to use its food intake more efficiently which is why limited diets don't really work.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I probably did when I was younger, and never a pound gained in weight. The thing is in the 17th century they needed it, it was hard work. I like Tales from the Green Valley as it is one of my favourite historical periods

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE