Don't you just love 'em!!! - Squaddie rubbish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broke

Mar 20, 2007
Okinawa, Japan
bambodoggy said:
Sad to say mate but I'm 100% sure as we also found maps and documentation on what they were doing up there, something even worse (tactically) than leaving the rubbish behind. They had marked the maps in pencil and on seperate sheets of waterproof paper listed GR for RV sites and Harbour sites along with Stagg roster names. Also, the rat packs were very new, far to new to have een issued to cadets. Add that to the fact that cadets don't chuck away that many rations (they're excited at being issued them) and also that we found far more empty BSA ammo packs than would be issued to cadets (not to mention a few live blanks left laying about).
Then add the whole lot to the fact that I saw them their last week ;) and have been challenging NCOs and Officers for leaving sites in a mess over there for months and months now.

I haven't reported it so far but will go back up there tomorrow in my truck as I'm free in the morning and clear the site. I know the ranger for that area very well (hence I have a key to the gates to get my truck up there) and will certainly bend his ear a little next time I see him...not that it'll do any good as he's now Landmark staff and not MoD. I no longer have any contacts at the depot and unless it happens this badly it's not worth my effort to report it.

Cheers,

Bam. :D
holy cow...as a former military person myself i'm at a loss for words. sounds like they broke every rule in the Operational Security book (as oldsoldier mentioned!) man if my unit would have left even 1 MRE pack behind, we would have gotten our butts reamed.

amazing. :|

crayfish

Mar 22, 2006
uxbridge
it is a mess
1. the army never mark maps for said reason you drop it and the enemy find it they will find harbours etc .
2. is it near a road on ex the trucks would roll up dump the rats you patrol in fill up with what you can carry and **** of back into the field hense all the crap food left behind. this is to simmulate hele drop in out re sup
3. you bomb up all your mags and the rest gets put loose in whatever you have left.
4. the boxes look new and no rain has damaged them so the site is fresh, has the ex finnished or just finnished this is then they would clean it up.
5. cleaning up is never done during an ex you are too bloody bussyl
6. during conflicts this happens allot it`s not bushcraft its WAR
it`s also mod land

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
crayfish said:
it is a mess
1. the army never mark maps for said reason you drop it and the enemy find it they will find harbours etc .
2. is it near a road on ex the trucks would roll up dump the rats you patrol in fill up with what you can carry and **** of back into the field hense all the crap food left behind. this is to simmulate hele drop in out re sup
3. you bomb up all your mags and the rest gets put loose in whatever you have left.
4. the boxes look new and no rain has damaged them so the site is fresh, has the ex finnished or just finnished this is then they would clean it up.
5. cleaning up is never done during an ex you are too bloody bussyl
6. during conflicts this happens allot it`s not bushcraft its WAR
it`s also mod land

Not quite sure what your point is here mate; but here's my £0.02 worth :)

1) I was there and found one of the pieces of note pad with full grids for the RV, Harbour and Recce points. Bam found one with the complete stag rota and a nicely folded map with the locale on it..

2) There were scrapes and opened/eaten food there too - this wasn't a resupply point.

4) The stuff was a couple of days old - animals had been at some of it and the boxes were damp. Seems even the wildlife
doesn't like biscuits brown, lemon powder or syrup pudding! :)

5) There were bin liners there....

6) No conflict in Frimley that I know of currently... :) and the fact it's MoD land ain't no excuse.

No excuse for live ammo to be laying around - even if it is blanks - this area has full public access even if it is MoD land. Not worth thinking about kids finding that stuff and hammering it! We meet a family collecting used rounds - they had three half carrier bags full and when we spoke to them, they had no idea how to tell if a round was used or not! :eek: Bam explained this too them... :cool: They were collecting them for their son, who wasn't there.. Safety is No.1 at all times.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have never had a heli resupply simulated by leaving rubbish everywhee, and as a section commander, maps need to be marked to show other units in surrounding areas and it gives you plenty of info as to enemy movements and locations. Could you remember the exact individual location of a whole battlegroup? I bet not!

The bottom line is it was a bloody mess and it took a member of this forum to go and sort it out, out of his own wish to see the land in a decent nick and to be a nice place for him to go and visit in future. Not acceptable behaviour from he units in that area.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
weekend_warrior said:
No excuse for live ammo to be laying around - even if it is blanks -.

Oxymoron - However,

Not that i dont believe you - but Im my experience - excercises ended with a line up and handin of blanks and emply shells, with a declaration like

" i have no blank/live rounds or empty cases in my possesion sir " with forarms holding opened magazine pockets and mags in hands showing the springs fully extended and mag empty"

But thats was my wing in the RAF - Army procedures may differ.

removal ( for personal use/idolisation, worshiping, sale etc ) court marshal offence ..

Loz

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
loz. said:
Oxymoron - However,

Not that i dont believe you - but Im my experience - excercises ended with a line up and handin of blanks and emply shells, with a declaration like

" i have no blank/live rounds or empty cases in my possesion sir " with forarms holding opened magazine pockets and mags in hands showing the springs fully extended and mag empty"

removal ( for personal use/idolisation, worshiping, sale etc ) court marshal offence ..

Loz

Oxymoron or not - the point stands. We found live blanks and kids play in those woods.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yup, the same declaration is given on Army exercises. Blank ammunition often crops up on training areas and if it is used on a training area there should be signs up warning people not to pick up ammunition as it may still be live. This doesn't excuse leaving a big pile in a harbour area.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
weekend_warrior said:
Seems even the wildlife
doesn't like biscuits brown! :)
I actually used to like biscuits brown and AB. I was the very sad one who used to collect all the unwanted compo from everyone and take it home on leave!! Even non dairy whitener!! I've changed now though, honest. I now drink black coffee! :D

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Jjv110 said:
I actually used to like biscuits brown and AB. I was the very sad one who used to collect all the unwanted compo from everyone and take it home on leave!! Even non dairy whitener!! I've changed now though, honest. I now drink black coffee! :D

You SAD, SAD Individual:lmao:

Broke

Mar 20, 2007
Okinawa, Japan
loz. said:

wow it's amazing--we used the exact same procedure and verbage at the end of each day during our yearly rifle qualifications in the US Marine Corps!

it's even more important to turn in those rounds (spent or unspent) when you are stationed overseas. here in okinawa, the local news media just LOVES to get their anti-military hands on information of discarded rounds. spent blanks found off-base (off-post) will rate a 5 minute story on the news.

the japanese (or more specifically, Okinawan) news media wouldn't have been able to contain their excitement if the pictures shown at the top happened in Okinawa instead. that story would probably have rated it's own 10 minute segment!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE