Don't you just love 'em!!! - Squaddie rubbish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Bam, weekend_warrior and myself went out for a bushcrafty stroll today, most of it on M.o.D land and came across a load of rubbish all dumped together including:

Shed loads of opened ration packs, opened tin cans from the pate, or from tins of tuna, diposible razor blades and the heads of replacable ones too, cordage, bags and god knows what else that had been left behind after an exercise recently :eek:

Just to give you some idea of how much we are talking...heres some pictures.

434060254_5625786ddd_o.jpg

434060256_a0914cbfab_o.jpg

I'd love to say that we were able to clear it all up and the place is now spotless, but as you can see there was just too much for 3 people to carry out.

It may well be in their "back garden" so to speak, but that is shocking. I crushed most the tins I could. But I really wouldn't be surprised if that lot ends up injuring a few animals.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
**** what a mess! :eek:

I'm actually shocked - still I bet there was a few unused bits to pilfer through eh ;)

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Wow, I take it squaddies are soldiers? I know, in my old unit, we left nothing behind...opsec & all that. Kinda scary to see that soldiers leave their trash behind.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That is absolutely disgusting. I cannot believe that a trained unit of proffesional soldiers would leave that sort of rubbish behind. I'd like to think it was in bin bags and has been pulled out by animals rooting through for a free meal but it still doesn't excuse the fact that it wasn't removed from the training area.

Normally, bagged rubbish is sent back with the CQMS/SQMS when resupplied with daily rations, water and ammunition. It looks like the unit in question here, and I'd say it was a Platoon/Troop of 30-ish blokes, couldn't be bothered to carry their rubbish until the next resupply, bagged it and left it in the hope that the CQMS/SQMS would follow on up and pick it up for them. Either that or they were bumped as part of the excercise shortly after a resupply.

Still no excuse, as soon as ENDEX was called, they should have gone back and collected their rubbish.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
spamel said:
That is absolutely disgusting. I cannot believe that a trained unit of proffesional soldiers would leave that sort of rubbish behind. I'd like to think it was in bin bags and has been pulled out by animals rooting through for a free meal but it still doesn't excuse the fact that it wasn't removed from the training area.

Yer, I estimated about a platoon strength from the rubbish left. To be slightly fair it was bagged up to begin with as far as we could tell, however, Mr and Mrs Fox Et al had unbagged it and been through it eating the best bits....no suprise they left the treacle tart and most of the biscuit browns!

There's also no excuse for the NCO's in charge, however, the training area is just down the road from the Army Training Reg at Deepcut and so the squaddies themselve are young 17 and 18 year old recruits who know no better....it's the DS staff I blame for this.

Bam. :(

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
bambodoggy said:
Yer, I estimated about a platoon strength from the rubbish left. To be slightly fair it was bagged up to begin with as far as we could tell, however, Mr and Mrs Fox Et al had unbagged it and been through it eating the best bits....no suprise they left the treacle tart and most of the biscuit browns!

There's also no excuse for the NCO's in charge, however, the training area is just down the road from the Army Training Reg at Deepcut and so the squaddies themselve are young 17 and 18 year old recruits who know no better....it's the DS staff I blame for this.

Bam. :(

Are you sure it was the Training recruits/DS staff and not ACF/CCF that left it behind which is more likely?
No Training NCO in his / her right mind would allow that to happen, I know I was one and I sure as hell made sure all rubbish was taken back to camp when I was in charge of the new recruits!
Just because it was Mil Rations doesn't automatically give you guys the right to blame squaddies!
Now the ACF / CCF on a w/end jaunt I could quite believe would do something like that because half the instructors are bone idol idiots that wouldn't think of tidying up after themselves.

Have you reported it to the Range Wardens?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Greg said:
Are you sure it was the Training recruits/DS staff and not ACF/CCF that left it behind which is more likely?
No Training NCO in his / her right mind would allow that to happen, I know I was one and I sure as hell made sure all rubbish was taken back to camp when I was in charge of the new recruits!
Just because it was Mil Rations doesn't automatically give you guys the right to blame squaddies!
Now the ACF / CCF on a w/end jaunt I could quite believe would do something like that because half the instructors are bone idol idiots that wouldn't think of tidying up after themselves.

Have you reported it to the Range Wardens?

Sad to say mate but I'm 100% sure as we also found maps and documentation on what they were doing up there, something even worse (tactically) than leaving the rubbish behind. They had marked the maps in pencil and on seperate sheets of waterproof paper listed GR for RV sites and Harbour sites along with Stagg roster names. Also, the rat packs were very new, far to new to have een issued to cadets. Add that to the fact that cadets don't chuck away that many rations (they're excited at being issued them) and also that we found far more empty BSA ammo packs than would be issued to cadets (not to mention a few live blanks left laying about).
Then add the whole lot to the fact that I saw them their last week ;) and have been challenging NCOs and Officers for leaving sites in a mess over there for months and months now.

I haven't reported it so far but will go back up there tomorrow in my truck as I'm free in the morning and clear the site. I know the ranger for that area very well (hence I have a key to the gates to get my truck up there) and will certainly bend his ear a little next time I see him...not that it'll do any good as he's now Landmark staff and not MoD. I no longer have any contacts at the depot and unless it happens this badly it's not worth my effort to report it.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
bambodoggy said:
Sad to say mate but I'm 100% sure as we also found maps and documentation on what they were doing up there, something even worse (tactically) than leaving the rubbish behind. They had marked the maps in pencil and on seperate sheets of waterproof paper listed GR for RV sites and Harbour sites along with Stagg roster names. Also, the rat packs were very new, far to new to have een issued to cadets. Add that to the fact that cadets don't chuck away that many rations (they're excited at being issued them) and also that we found far more empty BSA ammo packs than would be issued to cadets (not to mention a few live blanks left laying about).
Then add the whole lot to the fact that I saw them their last week ;) and have been challenging NCOs and Officers for leaving sites in a mess over there for months and months now.

I haven't reported it so far but will go back up there tomorrow in my truck as I'm free in the morning and clear the site. I know the ranger for that area very well (hence I have a key to the gates to get my truck up there) and will certainly bend his ear a little next time I see him...not that it'll do any good as he's now Landmark staff and not MoD. I no longer have any contacts at the depot and unless it happens this badly it's not worth my effort to report it.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Well if thats the case Mate, I am totally appalled, the NCO's in Charge need a rocket up their A**E's, it just goes to show how standards have dropped, Un-Bloody-Believable. They should all be put on 'Jankers!' God damn remfs.
This really P****s me off because I was very proud to serve in the Army and this gives decent squaddies a crap name, which is Bloody not on!!:cussing: :soapbox: :tapedshut :banghead: :aargh4: :rant:

I apologize for doubting your word!

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
I can't speak for CCF, but if any of my ACF instructors had ever left a campsite in a state like that they would have never heard the last of it. I don't know which ones you know, but all the ACF instructors I've known over the years are on the whole dedicated and pretty concientious about this sort of thing. Cadets come very low on the priority stakes when it comes to getting things like training areas and everyone is very aware that something like this would get your unit blacklisted. That's not to say that I haven't come across messes left by cadets, nor TA. nor even the army, and thats not new. Twenty years ago I followed a trail of ration wrappers discarded along the ridgeway, left by a unit of regulars.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Butchd said:
I can't speak for CCF, but if any of my ACF instructors had ever left a campsite in a state like that they would have never heard the last of it. I don't know which ones you know, but all the ACF instructors I've known over the years are on the whole dedicated and pretty concientious about this sort of thing. Cadets come very low on the priority stakes when it comes to getting things like training areas and everyone is very aware that something like this would get your unit blacklisted. That's not to say that I haven't come across messes left by cadets, nor TA. nor even the army, and thats not new. Twenty years ago I followed a trail of ration wrappers discarded along the ridgeway, left by a unit of regulars.

Many moons ago when I was in the ACF we got away with blue murder, and the instructors were as about as much use as T**s on a Fish!!:lmao:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
bambodoggy said:
I know the ranger for that area very well (hence I have a key to the gates to get my truck up there) and will certainly bend his ear a little next time I see him...not that it'll do any good as he's now Landmark staff and not MoD. I no longer have any contacts at the depot and unless it happens this badly it's not worth my effort to report it.

It's not something I usually go for but how about a bit of media coverage to get them embarrassed?

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Stew said:
It's not something I usually go for but how about a bit of media coverage to get them embarrassed?

I totally agree, the guys responsible should get their A***s kicked for that!!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A few copies of the photos Emailed to the MoD and a few local newspapers should start the ball rolling. The litter is appalling enough but the report of stag rosters and tactical info is just innexcusable.

:(

Ogri the trog

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If they will do that in training periods, then god knows what they will be like when it comes to the real thing. Leaving that sort of rubbish about can give away all sorts of info to the enemy in a war fighting role, such as morale, unit strength, equipment carried, level of training (!) and harbour routines. Not the sort of thing you want to be leaving behind.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm certanly not taking this to the press, ok so you're all right it would no doubt get things done but it would also cause a whole lot of hassle for the Depot and being Deepcut they've had their fair share of bad press lately.
Part of the camp has already been sold off for new housing and if there's much more kerfuffle then it's another nail in the camps coffin....in no time the training areas will be sold off and more houses will go up....and I really don't want that happening.

Chucking away the map and notes is very bad drills as is the ammount of rubbish, however, although there is often a few bits and bobs left after an exercise the ammount left this time is very very unusual.
As I said below the rubbish definately appeared to have been bagged up in black sacks ready to take out so I'm guessing somebody just forgot to bring it away with them. It's no excuse and they should know better but mistakes do happen and shopping to the local media won't help at all.

I'm off up there to tidy the site shortly and have desided to take a couple of photos of my own and then drop the rubbish bags along with the photos at the guardhouse on my way home...I'm sure they'll get the hint from that :D

Cheers,

Bam. :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think rubbish should be your last worry if you are in Deepcut, don't forget your body armour!!

Good on you for cleaning it up, you shouldn't have to but I suppose if it keeps you in favour with the range wardens and the like it can only be a good thing!

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
bambodoggy said:
I

Chucking away the map and notes is very bad drills as is the ammount of rubbish, however, although there is often a few bits and bobs left after an exercise the ammount left this time is very very unusual.

I'm off up there to tidy the site shortly and have desided to take a couple of photos of my own and then drop the rubbish bags along with the photos at the guardhouse on my way home...I'm sure they'll get the hint from that :D

let the local Member of Parliament know. He will be able to rattle cages without the press knowing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE