Don't You Just Love BT?!...NOT

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Are we comparing apples to apples? When i say the three services are bundled, I do mean they're still on separate devices: Computor is separate from the phone (not a smart phone but my hard line) and both are separate from the cabile tv (although they all come into the house on the same line)

Even if we are comparing accurately I suspect you do get them much cheaper than we do; here in Florida anyway, but I believe it's cheaper in more densely populated areas.

Yep, apples with apples, though your apple ain't looking so good! :p

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll ask him next time we speak - he pays about £45 for unlimited satellite - not sure how fast, but enough for video, its Spain he lives in

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Well I'm finally back online :cool:

It only took BT a month to get I sorted!! Well when I say sorted, I mean that I have at least got my internet back but its about 1.5Mbps slower than it used to be. BT are trying to tell me that its all fixed and that everything is perfect and I'm telling them to shove it up their hoop and I'm not going to give in without a fight! OK 1.5Mbps doesn't sound a lot but when your only running at 4Mbps its a big chunk of data not getting through :rolleyes:

Now all I have to do is sit out the remainder of this contract and I'm switching to Satellite Broadband. It works out to be around £65 per month but that includes phone too. Not much more than what we currently pay BT for the same type of package, poor customer service and slower speeds!

Anyway, I'm back on here and that's the most important thing to me right now. I only have to spend the time catching up and checking out what gossip and info I have missed!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) you were missed and it's good to see you back online.

Tony (the Boss) will sympathise with you; he's in the mid Wales desert for internet connections. It sounds worse than yours tbh.
How come it's so poor on Arran though ? it's pretty good through most of rural Scotland :dunno:

We're on 37mb something or others, and we could have 70+ if we paid £7 a month more. Free telephone calls, caller recognition, etc., etc., in the deal too.

cheers,
M

Last edited:

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Thanks Mary, Its nice to be missed. :D

Its because Arran is classed as the 5% population of North Ayrshire that can do without proper internet. Unfortunately, Arran, in the eyes of the NA Council is a carbuncle on its side. Only the bare minimum is spent on the infrastructure and even then its only because it is legally obliged to do so! There has been battles going on for years to update the antiquated phone network and update the mobile masts to 4G but because there is no-one with any real political clout on the island, we keep on being dealt the bum cards! You only have to look at the state of the roads to see how little is being invested in what is a major tourist attraction. In fact Cal Mac announced a few weeks ago that the Ardrossan to Brodick crossing is its busiest and most profitable.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Ask us how much we pay for Petrol over here, that'll make you feel better.

Ask how much hourly pay for how many hours they get in the US, and ask how many folks are using food coupons to get cheaper food...:eek:

Strangely I am quite happy with all the services I get, phone and internet are fine at about £28, I don't play on my computer nor use it for business, my leccy bill has just been CUT by £11 a month to £24 from £35, Just waiting to hear from the Gas folks what next years will be costing.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have run my own IT business from home for about 5 years on a 2Mb internet connection and it has been painful.
Now our exchange has finally been upgraded its a whole new world. 75Mb down and 25up, for about the same money.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I just wish BT would deliver what they promise and I pay for. I 've been trying to follow this thread for nearly an hour. Now I'm retired, I don't need broadband for work and so it is just an irritation. Fortunately I retired before broadband what the default position for exchanging information with colleages. We used to get bothered if the post was late. We used the telephone, fax machines and floppy discs sent through the post. I really sympathise with those of you out there trying to work.

I wonder how much damage the stress of working with computers is having on mental health?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wonder how much damage the stress of working with computers is having on mental health?

My job was (and occasionally still is) managing people who delivered computer solutions.

The people caused far, far more stress than the computers!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
My job was (and occasionally still is) managing people who delivered computer solutions.

The people caused far, far more stress than the computers!

Ditto and ditto.

Occasionally for BT too God help me!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There is an old set of jokes that I'm sure Huon knows entitled "Why a PC is better than a woman"

I of course did not find them hilariously funny - the BCUK thought police would have me for that ;)

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
There is an old set of jokes that I'm sure Huon knows entitled "Why a PC is better than a woman"

I of course did not find them hilariously funny - the BCUK thought police would have me for that ;)

I am absolutely not laughing at the memory ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Well I have just got off the phone to BT yet again. They ask me to send them a text with a date and a convenient time to call, yet they do not! I ring up and speak to yet another Indian call centre to be told that my speeds are acceptable, the lines are fine and no I cannot speak to his supervisor and he will not put me through to a Level 2 advisor even though my case is being dealt with by the level 2 team. Needless to say he got a flea in his ear and reported on the next attempt at getting through to a grown up.

My Broadband is 1/4 to 1/5 slower than that it used to be and the Latency (Ping) is going off the charts and I'm getting reading of between 110ms and 240ms. It then drops back down to 45ms and an hour later its back up again. My DSL connection rate is fluctuating between (Down) 5.89 and 7.15Mbps (Up) .34 and .45mbps. My IP profile is set at 4.5Mbps. All this points to a possible fault according to the BT engineer. However, he has tested my line and its coming back with excellent readings and there is a very low noise level. He reckons I should be getting at least 6Mbps as we are only about 3.5kms from the exchange. He believes there is a fault with the equipment at the exchange which is left over from the damage caused by the lightning strike. However BT think otherwise and have reluctantly upped my IP profile to 5.5Mbps but are still adamant that there are no faults. I doubt with all the fluctuations on the line that it will be very stable that close to the threshold so we will see what happens.

I cant complain bud, I've just got my 140mbps line put in yesterday :D Flies like sh1t off a stick!

From 3-6Mbps to 140Mbps and loving it :dancer:

And to think I have one of the faster connections for my area at 50Mbps. To have 140 Mbps would be great!

Now if google fiber will just come to the area I'm at, then I could enjoy those 1000 Mbps speeds. :D :D https://fiber.google.com/about/#connectivity

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE