Don't shut the gate!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
One of our gate posts is rotten and hollow. Still fairly sturdy, though, so we haven't replaced it. My mother-in-law noticed a bird (great tit, I think) flying into the bolt hole. I had a look down this morning and there are at least 4 chicks in there, little maws silently mouthing for food. Sat there a while watching the parents fly in and out.

null_zps4469116f.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brilliant :D
It's amazing how many other lives there are all bustling around us if we just take time to look, and have a wee bit of patience and tolerance to let them thrive too.

Your FIL's magpies won't get the chicks in there :D

M

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'd love to photograph the chicks but its too dark in there and don't want to shine a light down in case I stress them out

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I have a family of robins currently residing in an old wooden cable spool on one of my woodpiles. The adult birds are very busy at the moment, and their return to the nest is greeted by an awful lot of twittering.

Dave

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
For about thirty years a had successive families of blackbirds living in a hedge by our front window. If other birds were about, or cats, the parent birds would stop on our gatepost before proceeding to the nest with a beakfull of grubs. A couple of years pigeons nested in the hedge above the blackbirds and the complaints were raucous.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE