dont know if there is any farmers out there but

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No permanent workers (hands?) because perhaps they might have to take responsibilty, a bit, for them. Migrant labor far more convenient I suppose but then we use this labour a lot in the UK as well as contractors for cropping and the rest.

No permanent workers due the nature of the harvest. It only lasts for a few weeks in a given area (and harvest is the only time you need outside help) Once the crops are harvested in one zone the workers migrate to the next harvest zone. you need to rememeber that a medium sized state (or a small Canadian province) here is far larger than the UK and maybe another European country combined. harvest starts in south Florida and Texas around late March and shifts northward until it turns around for the second harvest in the southern tier in late October.

But you're right in that a lot of the migrant laborers are alien.

Last edited:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
you need to rememeber that a medium sized state (or a small Canadian province) here is far larger than the UK and maybe another European country combined. .

Really?, I think you underestimate how big the United Kingdom and the Euro Countries actually are as a land mass, it's a very common mistake to make though:rolleyes:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Really?, I think you underestimate how big the United Kingdom and the Euro Countries actually are as a land mass, it's a very common mistake to make though:rolleyes:

No. I've seen the maps superimposed That's actually how we were still are taught geography as kids.

I don't know of any European country (apart from Russia) that encompasses more than one time zone; let alone 5 time zones.

Mind you I didn't say ALL of Europe. Just the UK and maybe ANOTHER European country.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The Montana Department of Employment, Division of Labor Standards
claimed a small rancher was not paying proper wages to his help and
sent an agent out to investigate him.

AGENT: I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them.

RANCHER: Well, there's my hired hand who's been with me for 3 years.

I pay him $200 a week plus free room and board. Then there's the
mentally challenged guy. He works about 18 hours every day and does
about 90% of all the work around here. He makes about $10 per week,
pays his own room and board, and I buy him a bottle of bourbon every
Saturday night so he can cope with life. He also sleeps with my wife
occasionally.

AGENT: That's the guy I want to talk to - the mentally challenged one.

RANCHER: That would be me.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
No. I've seen the maps superimposed.

Mind you I didn't say ALL of Europe. Just the UK and maybe ANOTHER European country.

Anyone can superimpose maps, im assuming they were to the exact same scale, do you have a link to them by chance as id love to see how the land mass of the UK and the Medium sized state you refer to was actually worked out to generate an area comparison?

Even discounting another Euro country, i still you think have considerably underestimated the land mass of the United Kingdom.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Then god said "I need someone to suck up spare goverment cash in the form of subsidies to unprofitable busnesses, compensation for diseases spread by poor practice and greed, someone to polute watercourses and render them sterile by releasing slurry into them, someone to ensure that antibiotic resistant diseases become rampant by filling food animals with antibiotics on an industrial scale, someone to plant genetically modified crops to ensure that only the companies producing these seeds ever get rich, someone to so overcrop the land that they have to spread artificial fertilizers that polute watercourses, someone to spread organo-phosphates around so people get sick in new and strange ways, someone to ensure that food animals that are vegetarian are fed their own dead comrades and thus become ill in new and frightening ways - and potentially pass those diseases to humans ... so he made a farmer!

Two sides to every story!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, Texas is 696,000 km2, the UK is 244,820 km2 Belgium is only 30,528 km2 ...so Texas is more than twice the size of UK and Belgium combined. Mindy you France and Spain are much bigger than us.....

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Anyone can superimpose maps, im assuming they were to the exact same scale, do you have a link to them by chance as id love to see how the land mass of the UK and the Medium sized state you refer to was actually worked out to generate an area comparison?

Even discounting another Euro country, i still you think have considerably underestimated the land mass of the United Kingdom.

Yes they were to scale. No I don't have links to my textbooks. Yes there are programs out there to do it and I'm sure you can find them.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well, Texas is 696,000 km2, the UK is 244,820 km2 Belgium is only 30,528 km2 ...so Texas is more than twice the size of UK and Belgium combined. Mindy you France and Spain are much bigger than us.....

Thanks Red. But to be fair, Texas ain't a medium sized state. It's almost 900 miles to cross East to West on Interstate 10 and over 700 mile to cross North to South on Interstate 35.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Red. But to be fair, Texas ain't a medium sized state. It's almost 900 miles to cross East to West on Interstate 10 and over 700 mile to cross North to South on Interstate 35.

You'll know better than I do....I just picked a state I knew the name of :eek:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Yes they were to scale. No I don't have links to my textbooks. Yes there are programs out there to do it and I'm sure you can find them.

Thanks for the clarification SM, if you should ever come across something on the interweb that illustrates what you were saying then please dont hesitate to send me the link as id love to study the overlays.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What a load of mince.

Sorry people, this is .....I don't even know what to call it !! :confused:

It was either a veeerrrrry long night at work Drew, or you were bored out your tree I reckon.

No religion, no politics, no insulting other members,...............oh and map distortion is commonplace, it's the only way to render the surface of a globe on a flat sheet of paper without massive great arcs of blank page......1st year University, Geography, map projections and their socio-political representations.

Toddy

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You'll know better than I do....I just picked a state I knew the name of :eek:

LOl. I'm 56 now and my memory of 4th grade geography is vague at best. But Texas was often used for comparison with larger countries while Rhode Island or Vermont were often used for comparison with smaller countries. As I remember Ohio and Kansas were most commonly used for medium comparisons.

Mind you most Canadian provinces would dwarf all but our largest states.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the clarification SM, if you should ever come across something on the interweb that illustrates what you were saying then please dont hesitate to send me the link as id love to study the overlays.

There's a thread on here somewhere (recently) from a Brit ex-pat in Canada referencing the program. If anyone can remember that would be a start. He had posted the overlay of (I believe it was BC but it might have been Alberta) compared to UK, France and bits of Spain. He reference what program it was so you could pull up your own overlays.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
There's a thread on here somewhere (recently) from a Brit ex-pat in Canada referencing the program. If anyone can remember that would be a start. He had posted the overlay of (I believe it was BC but it might have been Alberta) compared to UK, France and bits of Spain. He reference what program it was so you could pull up your own overlays.

I'll have a search for that - thanks

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What a load of mince.

Sorry people, this is .....I don't even know what to call it !! :condfused:

It was either a veeerrrrry long night at work Drew, or you were bored out your tree I reckon....

He was watching the Superbowl like the rest of us. That's where the commercial aired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE