Dont forget the Bog Roll !!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 18, 2008
Derry N.I
Last night I spent the night in a near by wood with a friend from the states,packed everything but the kitchen sink and still managed to forget toliet paper,thats happened more times than I can remember,I really should have learnt my lession by now haha! But we laughed it off. Thank god the leaves where dry lol

It always seems to the most odvious things we forget,does anyone else have any funny bush craft stories ?

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
i have a roll vaccum sealed in the car LOL, i also have several packets of hankies always in my pack, never bother to take them out as i know i will forget to put them back in LOL

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
If you walk a lot you don't need paper, it will just sort of slide out without leaving any residues. I have no pubmed references for this, but I think that all that walking motions will pump the moisture out of the brown baby boy back up in the colon.

What's this with paper anyway? If I got sh*te on my hands I wouldn't settle for wiping them clean with paper. There is nothing more annoying than finding the perfect campsite, putting up camp, and then finding someones old bog paper. It should be burned, damn it!

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
origenally posted by w00dsmoke,
You can't beat going native then! With some spaghnum

I would personally think twice about using moss in the winter as I've known Bee's to crawl out of it half frozen, dazed but alive (I have no idea why they would be in it but they are!!), and there are places you just don't want a bee sting :yikes:

Kev

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
origenally posted by w00dsmoke,

I would personally think twice about using moss in the winter as I've known Bee's to crawl out of it half frozen, dazed but alive (I have no idea why they would be in it but they are!!), and there are places you just don't want a bee sting :yikes:

Kev

Occupational hazard of keeping bees :eek:

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
A tip I was once given by an old Jamaican, for use in such a situation, was to use a stone, in a scraper kinda way. Having tested the method in a pine forest where there was nothing on the ground but pine needles and stones I can say that is a satisfactory method rather than an excellent one.

NB. Disclaimer

Of course it goes without saying that it would be foolish to attempt this with a case of Piles

Jan 22, 2006
uk
another example of man learning from nature:

bum on the floor, back legs up in the air, front legs dragging you forwards...

:)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I always carry a package of tissues in my pocket, always - everywhere, even in daily life. It served me well more than once. For some reason I always find a toilet where the bogroll is nowhere to be found :soapbox: :censored:

In the woods I still use bogroll (read: tissues, as they take less space than a roll) and burn it afterwards. No need to roughen it, I'm a sensitve guy ;) :D

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Do you remember the news story that squaddies in Iraq and Af can't get there hands on bog roll,That made me laugh,Sort of a Non story really,as I don't know anyone in or out of the Forces who when serving didn't carry a load of it in there bergans

Jan 22, 2006
uk
I alter my diet before heading out if its going to be overnight or more, and stick to foods that mean the whole thing is as easy to deal with as possible.

One bad experience with an upset stomach or whatever can tarnish a great time out - which is rare enough nowadays!

I get a certain pleasure from eating good healthy (boring) foods when out as I know they'll give me tons of energy without any chance at all of the trots.

Your senses become so much more acute that dull food becomes pretty tasty anyway.

dont think anyones mentioned Doc leaves yet - always good to grab a few as and when you see 'em.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I have been told that an "Aide Memoire" AKA List is a good idea to help when packing you can even "go posh" and have a laminated one, if you do forget the loo roll, then you can carefully scrap away, then a quick wipe and "hey-presto" clean again for next time, Environmentally friendly as well as fully recyclable

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
:) Out on a run once in the woods when I "got the call". Used a handful of leaves (beech mainly) from the forest floor - needs must...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE