Don't eat deers that...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ravem

Nov 18, 2005
Italy
I don't think this will be my greatest worry, my chance to eat meat coming from deer with CWD is laughable in front of the pesticides and chemicals I eat unconsciously every day, but anyway I think it's good to know...

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Findings from an animal study suggest that disease-cause prions can be spread via infected skeletal muscle from deer with chronic wasting disease (CWD) -- a wildlife illness related to mad cow disease.

Whether CWD can be passed to humans is still unclear, but the present findings suggest that if this does occur, simply handling the meat of infected dear could pose a risk, senior author Dr. Glenn C. Telling, from the University of Kentucky in Lexington, and colleagues warn in the journal Science.

The researchers injected muscle or brain extracts from CWD-affected mule deer into the brains of mice.

As expected, the brain extracts were much more efficient at causing disease in the mice. Still, all of the muscle extracts caused progressive neurologic dysfunction too, albeit with longer incubation times.

These results show that muscle, "which is likely to be consumed by humans, is a significant source of prion infectivity," the authors write. "Humans consuming or handling meat from CWD-infected deer are therefore at risk to prion exposure."

SOURCE: Science January 26, 2006.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
BorderReiver said:
IMHO injecting anything directly into the brain of an animal is likely to cause dysfunction :eek:

Sometimes scientists are very silly. :p

Yes. And sometimes they tell you stuff you already knew, and you didnt really need the benefit of their government funded study. Stuff like dont smoke when your pregnant. eating lots of veg makes you live longer.
Sorry for the deviation.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
if this article is available online i would very much like a link to it please (the science one not the reuters guff please)

sorry but i think there are enough scare stories out there and this one is just posted with the intention of causing alarm

no symptoms, no cure no and very little actual fact , "a wildlife illness related to mad cow disease"

heck it doesnt even say where in the world CWD exists

yup 10 out of 10 to reuters for making total nonsense out of the news

Tant

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Tantalus said:
if this article is available online i would very much like a link to it please (the science one not the reuters guff please)

sorry but i think there are enough scare stories out there and this one is just posted with the intention of causing alarm

no symptoms, no cure no and very little actual fact , "a wildlife illness related to mad cow disease"

heck it doesnt even say where in the world CWD exists

yup 10 out of 10 to reuters for making total nonsense out of the news

Tant

THIS from New Scientist might clear things up slightly.

ravem

Nov 18, 2005
Italy
Tantalus said:

Sorry guys it wasn't in my intentions to cause unnecessary panic or troubles.
Here is the abstract of the original article, I'll check out if I can get a pdf copy.
Maybe my old college password still works, if I would remeber it....

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Ok thanks guys for helping me find out a little more

Seems north american elk and deer are involved here not british ones or european

methods of infection are unclear in fact new scientist carefully says
It is also unknown whether people can catch encephalopathy by eating CWD-infected meat

sorry for stomping on the reuters thing but it wasnt very informative, and i think we all deserve information , as much info as possible in fact :)

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE